Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Cool tip...that'll for sure let me know if everythings good thanks an while I'm at it I'll shoot some 847 under the plate

kfa4303

Banned

Great job cc! Thanks for all the pics and play by play commentary. It's really not that bad. Now that you've done it once, you can do it again in no time, and you'll never have to worry about what's going on in the gear case because you know it inside and out. F-N-R just means Forward, Neural, Reverse. Almost all motors have it now, but back in the day it was somewhat less common and used as a selling point. A lot if small motors were/are direct drive like a weedeater, or lawnmower, in which the prop spins in direct relation to the motor (more gas = faster rotation). It only has forward and "neutral" is just little to no throttle and "reverse" is achieved by rotating the motor 180 degrees. It's a little awkward to operate that way, but they're dead simple and super reliable. Lots of the old 50's-early60's, small horsepower motors operated that way, so F-N-R was a big deal at one time. Congrats again on the entire job. Now get that little motor on the water :)

AlTn

Commander

k..pushing and pulling on the shift rod while rotating the driveshaft or propshaft...forward is all the way up, reverse is all the way down, and neutral is in between the two

64osby

Admiral

CC - great job on the pictures and info. I have a fastwin 18 I'm working on and your info is helpful. But I'm still hoping I don't have to dig that deep to get mine running.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You're getting there!

I put 847 under the impeller plate as well, but if she is already bolted up dont worry about it. If you do be sure not to block any passages with the sealant, thin bead only along the mating surface.

Some of my motors are the "dock busters". There is no neutral, no reverse, just start and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;)

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok yeah I figured it out right before I read yalls posts LOL... Last night I wrapped a towel around the top of the drive shaft ,and lightly squeezed it with some vice grips to check the F-N-R, and it was working great. And your right Kfa next time it'll be easier with less worries. I hope the rest of the motor goes as well. If so I will really fell like I accomplished something. And take a good deal of satisfaction knowing I can rebuild an older boat motor. Now on to the the rest of the motor. I recently got a spark tester ,and got no spark on one wire so that's the next project. Coils, condensers, points,plugs, and wires

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're getting there!

I put 847 under the impeller plate as well, but if she is already bolted up dont worry about it. If you do be sure not to block any passages with the sealant, thin bead only along the mating surface.

Some of my motors are the "dock busters". There is no neutral, no reverse, just start and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;)

Well I thought I would try Mas's tip and lift the Impeller and housing to see if she spins more freely. Give me a little piece of mind concerning the 2 seal deal. The drive shaft has about an 1/2 inch or so of play so that should be enough to squeeze some under there hopefully without making a mess.

jasper60103

Commander

You did a great job, especially taking pics and working with scotch-weld. That stuff sets up fast!

nwcove

Admiral

what are the chances of you taking it all apart again, redoing it, and making a narrated u-tube video of the work you did?;)

nice work on the lu, and the pics!!

tim

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unbolt the water pump housing, slide it up, then see if it is still hard to turn. Then it should turn easily.

Mas

Thanks again Mas... You may have saved me from some serious damage. When I raised the impeller and housing The drive shaft spun freely. I then put in some 847 under the bottom plate, and went to reattach the housing and Impeller. Something wasn't right. I realized that i wasn't making sure the impeller was lining up with the drive pin. And the same thing happened last night during this stepImpeller lodged in the water pump housing.jpg when i had to adjust the bottom plate. After pushing the Impeller into the housing. I didn't make sure the impeller was aligned right when i pushed it back down that's why my drive shaft was incredibly hard to turn. The Impeller was wedged in there. Now it's aligned properly ,and sealed up good. The shaft is still hard to turn ,but I can do it with my hand. Unlike last night when I had to use vice grips to make it turn.:D. Again thanks for everyone's help. This time perticularly probably saved me from tearing something up:D

kfa4303

Banned

yeah, it's always the little things. it's crazy how it all comes down to that little impeller key. without it, or if it's in the wrong place, you're in for trouble. better to learn it now than on the water. don't worry next time you'll be able to do it in no time. while you might want to replace the impeller every year, or so, the seals should be good for quite some time. congrats again on the awesome job.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

what are the chances of you taking it all apart again, redoing it, and making a narrated u-tube video of the work you did?;)

nice work on the lu, and the pics!!

tim

Thanks Tim...I have a 69 Evinrude 25HP on my boat that was my original motor. I have this strange feeling that if I can successfully rebuild this 59 18hp. That that motor will be next to get rebuilt. So maybe we can do the youtube video on that one :D:eek::cool::facepalm:

AlTn

Commander

are you on to the ignition system next?..if so...start a new thread and I'll gladly share at least one idea that may save some frustration..it's one that many others may have already worked out a solution for and I'd like to hear their's as well

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a great link I haven't read it all yet ,but will before the nights over. AITn I think i would like to keep everything related to this motor in this thread, But I'm having the exact same problem with my original outboard a 69 25hp Evinrude. I hope your idea applies to this motor as well ,and look forward to hearing from ya. I'm starting a thread on that motor and problem now. Thanks

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thinking of trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

You need a tool to knock out this bushing. The purpose of the tool is to first pass thru the bushing then get wider so that it will no longer fit thru the bushing. At that point tap it with a hammer,and the bushing should fall right out.
In the first pic is why a spade bit works and what you can drive it with. The point where the bushing sits on the spade bit it will no longer go up the bit's shaft. The second pic is of a homemade tool that some have made and used to do this, And the third is asdasc using the spade bit. The last is just the bushing and O-ring

I tried this with the spade bit, and it was small enough to allow the spade bit to go inside the bushing and damage the insides. But a 19/64 drill bit is small enough to get to the bushing, yet large enough to not go inside the bushing. Then I used the socket extension as described. Worked good.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys back on the 18hp. Got some pics,A small problem,and A couple question.

2012-01-28 18 Hp johnson pre teardown.jpgremoveal leaf assembly.jpg2012-01-29 12.49.49.jpgpower head teardown.jpglower assembly.jpg

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

The small problem

Brokenbracket.jpg
[/IMG]

Found this when I took the base off. Best I can tell it's just called bracket#306609 fixing to check on that. Anybody have any info on this part. Could I jb weld this or have someone weld it If I can't find replacement.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

The question?

powerhead 1.jpgpowerhead 2.jpgpowerhead 3.jpgpowerhead 4.jpg

This powerhead had good compression 130,127. I'm pretty sure I don't want to take the case apart,and mess with the pistons, and crankshaft. And I'm not really sure If I want to go any deeper than this. I'm gonna check prices for the gasket set, I really wanted to do the best I could at cleaning and restoring this motor to as new as possible. Seeing that it's got good compression I'm just trying to weigh cost and figure whats best. What's you guys take on what I should do with this powerhead? Any suggestions are welcome.I really don't know what's best to do. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.