Truck rims vs caliper clearance

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I saw the Dura Traks had the snowflake. That's what I really wanted, but would have to go to 18" rims. Heard real good things about them in snow. Ordered the Coopers yesterday... Not sure if they have a snowflake....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Had the tires mounted Friday just in time for the Big Bust. Talked 6-10", received 2". Plowed anyway since I didn't plow the drives from the last 2". So, I cleaned them all out....... Tires are working great. Even was offroad in a flatish ditch and had no issues. Plowed 8" of light snow at my place w/o putting it in 4x4. Hadn't plowed by the trailer, shed etc all year...... So, very happy so far.

Although, the TPMS is not working. It was showing the old pressures, then just showed dashes. Not even zeros. What does the module read? Here's a vid where the unit is located for a 2013. Should be the same Gen as my '16. I wonder if it has something to do with the 17" rims. The stock rims for this truck is supposed to be 18-20".

Thanks.....

Tnstratofam

Commander
The TPMS reads the sensors in the rims. The Admiral's Buick's TPMS started acting up showing dashes on 2 different tires. Ended up being the batteries in the tire sensors were weak. Her car is an 08 with 32000 miles on it. Still sporting the original tires. The dealer replaced the 2 faulty tire sensors, and everything is working good.

Did you have new sensors installed on your new rims? If so then perhaps they need to be programed for your trucks TPMS.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No, the rims are from 2012, I believe. Aftermarket that I use just for plowing. They worked fine last year on my 2012. How likely that all 4 went bad? Unless, they changed them out to non TMPS when they mounted the tires. Which I would doubt, but the guys that mounted them weren't the "tire guys". But still.......

Tnstratofam

Commander
May just be your current trucks TPMS doesn't recognize them. You may have to check with your dealer.:noidea:

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I suppose I could call the dealer Monday. I believe they are the direct system. It seems to me the sensors weren't cheap when I bought the rims. Unless they changed to indirect.

Edit: Actually, they have to be direct since it's measuring tire pressure..... A duh moment....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check with the tire guys if they mounted the TPMS sensors. Just because they are "tire guys", doesn't mean that they did it right

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's the thing, they are "not" tire guys. The valve stems with the sensors shouldn't have been touched. I'm assuming they don't need to come off when dismounting/mounting tires....

Can anyone tell if this is a stem that would have a sensor? All I see different is the brass shoulder. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow....

RAMs are self resetting. When it went to reset, that's when I got the dashes...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hard to say for sure cuz they look like ordinary stems. You do have the brass stem part that looks like OEM.

tpms.PNG

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Nice find GA...... Should be an interesting conversation. At least a mechanic/tire guy should hopefully answer some ?s. I have to go in and get the wheels retorqued. Wouldn't have done it except for the TMPS issue. I guess they're torqued at 135 foot lbs..... I can do that.......

GA_Boater

I've watched when getting tires and they use a tool to pop off the old stems while the tires are still aired up and most times they do all four before even putting a wheel on the tire machine. If they did that, it was too late.

But with the large part on the end of the stem, it would be hard to pull the stem out and the first one should be a warning that something wasn't right. Would be to me. Or it's something else, but strange that all 4 show dashes.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And there ya go. The new truck won't read the sensors from the '12. I need new sensors. Also, no battery. They either work, or they don't. So I've been told... A good scam to squeeze more money outta a person. Not like these vehicles don't cost enough from the get go....... Finally had to go to Dodge for answers.....

Tnstratofam

Commander
Well that bites! At least the new tires are working good for ya thats a win in my book.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
AT least I can stop banging my head against the wall. I've been tough to live with this weekend. Had plowing lights go out on the truck last nite. That broke the back. But, they're getting fixed tomorrow. Maybe I'll relax......

Tires are awesome.... That is a win.

Thanks for all the suggestions.......

Musky

GA_Boater

Sell the plow rig and move south, Musky. Bet ya never thought of that! :rolleyes:

Tnstratofam

Commander
You know here in the mountains of Tennessee we do get a little snow:smow:. So you could still plow the occasional parking lot if you really wanted to.:eyebrows:

An added bonus is the water stays soft most all year.:fish2:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I see this thread going round in circles. :facepalm:

Chris......