Truck Mileage

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Truck Mileage

Like everyone has said, it all depends on the maintenance. I have a 94 K1500 Blazer Sport, 5.7 TBI, 125,000 miles. Oil changed every 3000 miles. Trans fluid changed every year. It's always been garage kept, next to my boat. People can't believe how old it is or how many miles because it still looks good. It's nice to get compliments on a 14 year old truck.
Remember if you buy from a private party try to see how their other vehicles look. If they are clean in the winter and the interiors are clean, they probably take good care of their vehicles.
Fleet auctions would be good since fleet vehicles have a set maintenance schedule. I drive a fleet van and every 5000 miles the oil is changed. All the other maintenance items are also on a set schedule. Any safety issue is always fixed. Companies don't want any lawsuits due to injury from safety neglect.

walleyehed

Admiral

My truck is a 96 GMC sierra with the 5.7 litre engine and it has 220,400 miles on it and it still runs awsome. It all depends on how each vehicle has been driven and what part of the country. There is a lot more rust in the north due to the snow and road salt.

I HIGHLY disagree with that statement...
we retrieve salvaged aircraft from all over the U.S. and the worst BY FAR, is anything in the costal regions. Even the vehicles in those regions don't last like what we get here in the central U.S.

Road salt??? we don't use that anymore...haven't for about 4-5yrs now.
No, the aircraft are not subject to anything used on a road, but most of the aircraft we retrieve have been hangared and set out, tied down about 50/50.

island boy

Seaman

"Road salt??? we don't use that anymore...haven't for about 4-5yrs now".

Excuse me walleyehed but, you obviously have never been to a small town in maine on the coast because we still use salt and sand over calcium chloride due to the cost for the town and next time you decide to speak get your facts strait.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

He may not use road salt in his area. But, in MN they use it by the 1000 of tons. And, that's just on one highway. (I'm exaggerating of course) Really though if you don't wash it regularly anything around here is rusted out in about 5 to 9 years. With frequent washings you can make 10.

NeverEnough02

Seaman

They call MA "The Bay State" for a reason. Trucks in New England are the most expensive I have seen. If you get a ford, go with the 4.6 only. If you go with a GM, get the 4.3 or the 5.7. If you get a dodge, well ... dont get an older dodge unless its a diesel (which 4k will not get you). The 3 motors above are rock solid and parts very very easy to get. The fords are a lot cheaper for the late 90s so I would go with them unless you can find a smoking deal on a GM. I waited for the right GM since they feel much more sturdy after a few years of abuse and they are much nicer on the inside. If you are interested in the motor only, the 4.6 is hard to beat for the money!

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

iv got an 96 ford f250 diesel i just rolled it over 200k and runs like bran new. i also have an 89 chevy silverado with over 260k dont know how meay miles cause thats where the odomeater broke. bought it with a blow headgasket so i put a reibult with 55000 miles on it i had in a truck that the body was rotted out in it (although i could have just replaced the headgasket) but now the trans went out). with an gas truck id say 150-160k miles is ok shy away from 200k vehicials unless they come with compleet service records. diesel trucks are good for substantialy higher miles, although abuse and matince still comes into effect

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

another thing i should mention is the 89 k1500 had a 5th wheel hitch in the back, 5th wheel and 1/2 ton truck don't mix

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

not to threadjack but coastal regions are also salty. Salt kills metal.

NeverEnough02

Seaman

5th wheel is def not good for a half ton, neither is a plow but people seem to do it all too often.