Truck Mileage

bigmarc66

Seaman
Hey guys, within the next few months im going to be shopping around for an older pickup truck. Im a college student looking for something to tow the boat. My question is how many miles do trucks usually get. Is buying a truck with 130,000 miles pointless. Or will most trucks have a long way to go at lets say 140-150. I dont have a lot to spend so im gonna have to get the most bang for my buck. Just wondering if anybody had any experience, or one brand over the next. Thanks

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Truck Mileage

My uncle has a 1990 Dodge Ram diesel that has 300,000 miles on it, he bought another Dodge Ram a year newer and still drives the 90 model and it is still going strong. He tows his 855 John Deere behind it and with box blade and other equipment.

It all depends on how the owner takes care of the truck, if he had the oil changed regularly etc etc. I had a 1978 GMC 3/4 ton with a 292 straight six cylinder, I wished I had never got rid of that truck, it had well over 200,000 miles on it. I traded it off and the new owner ended up going trail riding in it and the truck caught on fire and burnt to a crisp. Some of those trucks can last a long long time.

D

DJ

100, 150 or 200K+ all depends on the maintenance.

I've had some over 200K (on gas engines) and I've never had an engine or transmission fail.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yup, I'm with DJ- maintenance is everything. Look for a truck with a complete maintenance log (parts and repair reciepts). Even if you buy "certified pre-owned", it might be very hard to find.
OTOH, I have each and every reciept from my 7 year old truck with 261,000 miles on the clock. And yes, it has the original engine and tranny, never rebuilt. My new truck is arriving next week and this ones going to be used to plow snow and haul materials for my construction company. It's a 2001 Ford F250 4x4 with the 5.4 gas engine and automatic. The new one's also a F250...

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

89 2500, 215,000miles. oil changed every 3000 still strong.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

As every one said it's all about the maintenance. Some trucks and engines do run longer then others though. So, you have to be more specific and show/tell us about the truck your looking at. Also, "older truck" is kinda vague and how much money do you want to spend?

I should add that it also depends somewhat on where you live.

tommays

Admiral

Well for example in the LI area RUST is a huge problem with every brand of older truck and it kills more of them than anything

My 1995 GM was fine at 180000 thousand in 2003 expect for all the places you needed duct tape to keep out the rain :rolleyes:

Tommays

D

DJ

One area to study is fleet auctions. Many are turned simply because of age/mileage on a scheduled basis. Most well run fleets have complete maint. records.

gonefishie

Commander

It also depends on the driving style of the previous owner. While I was in college, I had a 94 blazer and my room mate had a 93 blazer. Both have the exact same engine, transmission, etc.. Roommie's truck had much more milage and less maintenance then mine. I drove mine very hard and he didn't. Mine kicked the bucket first.

bigmarc66

Seaman

thanks for all the replies, I live in MA and Ill be able to spend around $4,000 based off of selling my other vehicle. So i feel like i will be able to shop around and find something reliable

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

It also depends on the driving style of the previous owner.
QUOTE]

I agree.

Look for a trailer hitch. Doesn't mean that it's bad to have one, but know that it was used for towing. Then look around the yard to see what the guy was towing. If it was a pop up camper, I wouldn't worry. If it's a pup for a UPS truck, I'd probably ask a few more questions.

I have an 83 chev that's starting to show wear (yeah, about 10 years ago.) Things are starting to fall apart (and off) now. Leaf springs should be replaced, as it's hauled a few loads in the box that it probably shouldn't have.

What are you considering as an older truck? Probably 90s? I had a 97 chev that I had no problems with til it hit 150k... then it was the little stuff that started going wrong. Alternator, belt, hoses, fuel pump, etc.

You can buy a lot of alternators, belts, hoses and fuel pumps though for a $400/mo. (or more) truck payment.

bigmarc66

Seaman

by older im thinking before 2000. Im the kind of person that still thinks anything newer than a 2000 is practically brand new. So to me buying a late 80s-mid 90s truck seems very logical and necessary based on the budget

oops!

Supreme Mariner

big marc

4 grand is a lot to spend.

i dont know what the truk market is like down there....

but at a fleet auction like dj said.....you can come out with a really good deal...just bring a really knowlageable friend to check the unit over...pay a thousand less than what you have to spend ...that way if you gotta do repairs......

if you can go deisel....

good luck
oops

bigmarc66

Seaman

how prevalent are fleet auctions and how would you find out about one? They sound like a solid venue to buy a truck.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

4 grand is not a lot to spend around here. 3 years ago I bought a 95 F150 4X4 for 8 grand and that was about the going price at the time. In my area you need 6 to get anything decent. 4 grand is used car prices. Trucks are way over priced around here.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I had a gasoline GMC almost make it to the half-mil. mile mark. 482 thou was my ending mileage on it, and it still ran ok engine/tranny wize, I just got rid of it because the a/c quit and down here a/c isn't an option.

walleyehed

Admiral

My '96 3-door 4X4 K1500 with the 5.7 vortec has just passed the 300,000mi mark with no issues, and I use it.....hard.
Uses about a pint of oil in 1800mi, which is when I change it.
About 12.5mpg pulling the boat and has a life ave. of 18.5 hiway not pulling anything, and no...I'm not happy with the 5.3 or the 6.0 newer GM's I've had..They both suck more fuel than is said to be the case. I had the 5.3 for 2 months..pulling the boat at 4000-5500rpm didn't seem right, although they say it is...so I went with a new 6.0 in a 4-door 4X4 and the milage sucks....I'll continue to use the '96 until she dies.

island boy

Seaman

My truck is a 96 GMC sierra with the 5.7 litre engine and it has 220,400 miles on it and it still runs awsome. It all depends on how each vehicle has been driven and what part of the country. There is a lot more rust in the north due to the snow and road salt.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Dads old truck (now the family work truck) is a 1989 K2500. It has the 5.7 and a 5 speed manual. The engine is going on 400,000 right now, and aside from a new clutch at 100,000 miles, the transmission is too. Course, the last 100,000 miles started giving us problems, and the last 30,000 or so have been giving us larger problems. Fairly recently the rear main started leaking real bad - about 2 quarts in a days running. Other things we have been worked around. The computer controlling the instruments died, so we don't have a speedo. anymore. For a while, you would have to bang the top of the dash, but recently, it has stopped completely.

Of course, this truck has seen way more than it was designed for. The bumper was pulled most of the way off with a 10,000 pound trailer back in about '93, back before dad had a receiver hitch on it. This thing has seen 4000 pound loads in the bed somewhat regularly, and has been used as a tractor quite a bit (pulling stumps and such). It has only been run out of oil once though.

Someday though, we will drop in a new crate 350, with a SIX speed manual. Now THAT will be nice, as at the moment, it will be the vehicle that I borrow when I get my license.