Troubleshooting 1999 Johnson 225 HO

WuTang84

Cadet
Hey guys, I have a '99 Johnson 225 HO with a problem that I'd like to figure out.

Motor is on an '89 21 foot Stratos bass boat that I picked up about a month ago.

Motor seemed to run fine on muffs. When put on the water it has next to no power (13 km/h @ 2k rpm WOT) and the boat does not plane.

Previous owner told me the motor ran great and was just serviced and showed me an invoice for $2000 CAD. What I later learned was that this guy screwed me over, which I guess is my fault for not testing it on the water.

Spoke to the shop that did the work and they were told that the motor does not start. They replaced the power pack, magnets, stator, cleaned the carbs, changed spark plugs, compression test (in the 90's across all 6 cylinders).
They got it to start and handed it back. Said it seemed fine when running on muffs.

Oil side of VRO pump is capped off (not sure if it died or they for some reason wanted to premix). Mechanic asked me to have someone pump the bulb while on the water at WOT to rule out whether or not the VRO pump was the problem.
That did absolutely nothing.

At WOT after about 10 minutes she gives me the overheat warning. If I keep it at about 1.5k rpm the overheat warning does not kick in. Problem is, 10 km/h @ 1.5k rpm at WOT from a 225 HO is a bit ridiculous.

Looking for any and all advice to get me pointed in the right direction. If any other info is needed just let me know.

Thanks for reading

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check the shift switch on the motor.-----Or use a timing light when test running.-----One cylinder at a time to see if there are spark issues.-----You are sure it is an overheat or perhaps a fuel restriction.----?-----Did you not install a new impeller in the water pump?----Your location ?

WuTang84

Cadet
Check the shift switch on the motor.-----Or use a timing light when test running.-----One cylinder at a time to see if there are spark issues.-----You are sure it is an overheat or perhaps a fuel restriction.----?-----Did you not install a new impeller in the water pump?----Your location ?
I will definitely look into these things.
I'm not sure actually, the alarm goes BEEP-BEEP-BEEP at about 1 second intervals.

I did not install a new impeller. I just assumed it was something the shop would have done/checked when it was in there. Though I did order a new complete water pump kit. Just waiting for it to arrive and some time to install.

Edit: I'm located in Ontario, Canada

Last edited:

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not sure actually, the alarm goes BEEP-BEEP-BEEP at about 1 second intervals.

I did not install a new impeller. I just assumed it was something the shop would have done/checked when it was in there. Though I did order a new complete water pump kit. Just waiting for it to arrive and some time to install.

Not to sound condescending here, but you did put pre-mix fuel in it?

90psi....she's had plenty of use.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to add the intermittent beep is the vro/fuel side.

WuTang84

Cadet
Not to sound condescending here, but you did put pre-mix fuel in it?

90psi....she's had plenty of use.
Yeah, I added premix at 50:1. And yeah, seems like she's had some use and possible neglected.

Would the vro pump cause these symptoms?
If so, wouldn't pumping the bulb @ WOT provide at least *some* sort of improvement?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah, I added premix at 50:1. And yeah, seems like she's had some use and possible neglected.

Would the vro pump cause these symptoms?
If so, wouldn't pumping the bulb @ WOT provide at least *some* sort of improvement?
Yeah, that's the normal routine.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander

Racerone is from Ontario....just drag it over to his house.

He's like the Yoda of outboards!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take it back to the shop that wrote up the $2000 invoice.-----You are about 3-1/2 HRS away and I am busy with some of my own motors.

WuTang84

Cadet
Take it back to the shop that wrote up the $2000 invoice.-----You are about 3-1/2 HRS away and I am busy with some of my own motors.
I'm gonna try tinkering with it myself, going with some of the suggestions here.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I'm gonna try tinkering with it myself, going with some of the suggestions here.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Well the beep...beep...beep is the fuel oil side. Is the oil tank for the vro still on board?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The motor has “System Check” feature that includes SLOW mode.

As noted above, the alarm is oil supply side. Your problem most likely stems from the half-butt removal of the OMS (no VRO) system that didn’t disable the signals to System Check.

Personally, I’d would put the oiling system back in service place if the oil tank is still in place. A lot easier to keep the oil tank full than to mess around with premix

WuTang84

Cadet
Well the beep...beep...beep is the fuel oil side. Is the oil tank for the vro still on board?
No, oil tank wasn't present when I bought the boat.

The motor has “System Check” feature that includes SLOW mode.

As noted above, the alarm is oil supply side. Your problem most likely stems from the half-butt removal of the OMS (no VRO) system that didn’t disable the signals to System Check.

Personally, I’d would put the oiling system back in service place if the oil tank is still in place. A lot easier to keep the oil tank full than to mess around with premix
SLOW mode does sound like what I've been experiencing, now that you mentioned it, not being able to go over 2k rpm and all that. Hmmm...

Would SLOW kick in because of the oil warning?
The warning only beeps after about 10 minutes @WOT (2k rpm). If I cruise a bit below WOT, the warning does not trigger.

Either way, I'm gonna start with the water pump/impeller and all that.
Not sure if the water pressure gauge needs to be burped or crapped out or something, but it always reads zero. Motor seems to be peeing fine.

Then I'm gonna try and source a complete VRO setup. Premixing this amount of fuel sucks.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
No, oil tank wasn't present when I bought the boat.

SLOW mode does sound like what I've been experiencing, now that you mentioned it, not being able to go over 2k rpm and all that. Hmmm...

The warning only beeps after about 10 minutes @WOT (2k rpm). If I cruise a bit below WOT, the warning does not trigger.

Not sure if the water pressure gauge needs to be burped or crapped out or something, but it always reads zero. Motor seems to be peeing fine.

Then I'm gonna try and source a complete VRO setup. Premixing this amount of fuel sucks.
Again, solid beep is overheat and I do believe any alarm sets limp mode. Somewhat spit balling here. There is a low warning in the oil tank and thought maybe....but the tank is gone so someone must have dealt with those wires.

You can test your pressure gauge pretty easily by removing the tube and blowing a little air in there. No big blast from an air compressor without turning down the pressure. (Blow up the gauge)

What guys say here is take it out and run it and put a timing light on the plug wires. If it's limp mode than it shuts one side of the motor down.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

BEEEPPP…is overheat or fuel restriction/ vacuum leak.
BEEP - BEEP - BEEP is oil problem

Fought the fuel restriction gremlin on my Ocean Pro. All new everything from tank to fuel pump. Still had problems. Replaced fuel select valve, problem was resolved.

SLOW only kicks in on an overheat. Limits you to 2500 rpm.
Is the tach working properly? Beeps when you turn on key then runs test sequence, individual warning lights flash?

Make sure the shift switch is functional or disabled
Had a number of issues over the years but nothing that behaves as your describe.

FWIW… change a coil if it shows any signs of cracking. They test OK, but changing them out made a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the motor
My pressure gauge started not working very well. Removed hose from gauge and found the hose to be water logged (full of water).

Removed hose from motor end and blew it out. Trimmed a 1/2” off both ends to get to good pliable hose and put it back together, No problems since.
I hear you….154 gallon fuel capacity myself
Replaced my tank and lines 3 years ago. Had lots of NIB options on Ebay at the time

WuTang84

Cadet
Just a quick update -

Over the winter I spoke to a few knowledgeable boat guys and the first thing all of them mentioned was the prop hub.

Boat came with a Raker 14.5 x 24p. I sourced a Piranha prop 14.5 x 23p for cheap, will be launching the boat next week for the first time this season. Let's see how she goes.

Also did the impeller/water pump kit. Original housing was badly grooved, impeller was stiff but not too bad.

Also noticed that the spark plugs were not the recommended ones (QL77JC4). Replaced with the recommended (QL78YC). Does anyone think the plugs could have been part of my problem?