Trouble with a used bayliner discovery 192

Qfish

Cadet
A couple of things….. 1st, I bought this boat used, seems in great condition, a 2007 bayliner discovery. One issue is it has water coming into the engine area, I cannot see it or find it- it is a lagging issue. The first 30 minutes on the water it is dry, as time goes on it’s starts taking on water. I can find it. The bellows all look good from the outside. I did change the gimbal bearing when I bought it. And also the starter, boat shop repair. Is it possible they changed the angle of the motor?
2nd It will not plane out without porpoising. It runs well around 3k rpm, the speedo was plugged ( recently hoped I unplugged it).
could the rpms gauge be wrong? Tried several different props. Had a 23 pitch when I bought it( was chewed up) people recommended a 21” prop, tried both a 3 and 4 blade . Still will not plane above 3k rpms.
any advice nay be helpful ! Thank you!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
My opinion for what it's worth...
All three bellows should have been changed while doing the gimbal bearing on a boat that was new to you. I would even change the lower shift cable.
I did all of this on mine. I now have a benchmark of when all of that was done. It helps me sleep better!

Qfish

Cadet
What motor, what drive? How about some pics of the rig?
It is a 2007 bayliner 192. Discovery, 4.3 mercruiser with a alpha one gen II out drive. I thought I had better pics of engine but not on this phone .

Attachments

• 4816382D-A112-4CC9-BB17-E5EC283155ED.jpeg
    4816382D-A112-4CC9-BB17-E5EC283155ED.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 1C9680A9-3540-4898-8F0D-4F796CE6E606.jpeg
    1C9680A9-3540-4898-8F0D-4F796CE6E606.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5

Qfish

Cadet
My opinion for what it's worth...
All three bellows should have been changed while doing the gimbal bearing on a boat that was new to you. I would even change the lower shift cable.
I did all of this on mine. I now have a benchmark of when all of that was done. It helps me sleep better!
This is my first sterndrive , all new to men one of the boots look cracked or worn , and the shift linkage rod is smooth - no groove and boot seems tight.
What weird to me is cruising, it does take on water but not near like it does when sitting still, probably 3x as much.

tpenfield

Staff member
As to 'angle of the motor' That is not a thing that would cause leakage into the bilge. When replacing the gimbal bearing or most outdrive servicing, the engine alignment is often checked. However, it would not impact the transom itself.

You will have to find the leak, since it could be a number of things. So, any input is mere guessing at this point.

Qfish

Cadet
This is my first sterndrive , all new to men one of the boots look cracked or worn , and the shift linkage rod is smooth - no groove and boot seems tight.
What weird to me is cruising, it does take on water but not near like it does when sitting still, probably 3x as much.
None of the boots look cracked or worn, I don’t know the history on this boat other than previous owner may have swamped it or left water in the engine compartment, had to replace starter when I bought it

Qfish

Cadet
As to 'angle of the motor' That is not a thing that would cause leakage into the bilge. When replacing the gimbal bearing or most outdrive servicing, the engine alignment is often checked. However, it would not impact the transom itself.

You will have to find the leak, since it could be a number of things. So, any input is mere guessing at this point.
I’m curious as to why it won’t plane out above 3k on the rpm gauge, nice at 3 but anything above , it starts to porpoise

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Are you trimming it while under way? Also check the trim manifold on the bottom of the gimble housing. I've seen them leak at the gasket.

Qfish

Cadet
Are you trimming it while under way? Also check the trim manifold on the bottom of the gimble housing. I've seen them leak at the gasket.
I’ve tried both trimming underway and starting with the motor all the way down, either way anything over about 3k is bad

Qfish

Cadet
Thank you I’ll look for the trim manifold at the gimbal housing, it’s weird to me that it leaks worse while the boat is still and just fishing. As for the trim thing I’ve bought a whale tale to try but I have room to mount , I can mount it close or farther back. Any thoughts?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You say it collects more water while just sitting and less when under way.
Long shot...
This reminds me of how on some small boats you can pull the plug while under way to suck out accumulated water.
I have never done that and wouldn't recommend it, but I believe it's a thing.
Maybe your leak is doing this?
In any event, you must find the leak.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
None of the boots look cracked or worn, I don’t know the history on this boat other than previous owner may have swamped it or left water in the engine compartment, had to replace starter when I bought it
Exactly why you should replace anything critical since you dont know the history of the boat.
Those could be the original bellows. You just don't know.....as you stated....

If the starter had to be replaced because it was under water, that's a very bad thing.
You have no clue how long the bilge was sitting while filled with water.
Sounds like the previous owner either plain neglected the boat or couldn't find the leak and got rid of it.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Thank you I’ll look for the trim manifold at the gimbal housing, it’s weird to me that it leaks worse while the boat is still and just fishing. As for the trim thing I’ve bought a whale tale to try but I have room to mount , I can mount it close or farther back. Any thoughts?
It will leak more sitting still as its constantly in the water, up on plane it's out of the water more.