Trouble removing rack and pinion cables

matfalk

Cadet
well, Im at it again. I know I said I was giving up, but I decided after some advise to try and replace my steering kit myself. I finally got the helm apart and out of the console with the help of a hacksaw. Now I am having trouble pulling the cables out. I can't get the rods out of my tilt tube to pull the cables. There doesnt seem to be enough space between the splash well and the tilt tubes to pull them out. Anyone have any suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trouble removing rack and pinion cables

unbolt and lift the motor, rent a cherry picker, very common problem. or get a sawzall with metal blade, cut the cable. you still may have to lift the motor to get the new one in. Rotary system is much friendlier.

matfalk

Cadet

unbolt and lift the motor, rent a cherry picker, very common problem. or get a sawzall with metal blade, cut the cable. you still may have to lift the motor to get the new one in. Rotary system is much friendlier.

haha, ok, I was really hoping for a simpler solution. I contacted a local marina a while back that told me if I bought the parts they would just charge me labor to do it for me. I think I'll go that route. I am switching to a rotary system, as everyone that I have talked to say's they're better, plus they're cheaper.

svilla

Seaman

When I installed my steering, I just un-bolted three motor bolts, grabed the lower unit, tilted the motor, and installed the cable.