Trolling motor options/suggestions

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
How is it going? I have a 73 sea ray 180 with a merc 140 that I am currently restoring (just got the stringers and transom done, starting the deck shortly).
I have been looking at my options for a trolling motor. I currently have a minkota 55lb thrust transom mount but doubting that will be nearly strong enough.
I would like a bow mount but I have a closed bow I know I can make a plate on the front to mount it but not to keen on climbing the bow to drop and lift it all the time.
I was looking into the easy trolling plate does anybody have experience with these? I dont want to drill holes in the cavitation plate to find out they do not work.

Thank you

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
i get the dont want to drill into the boat to install kicker mount... that said... it's not that big a deal... consider buying a small gas outboard with gas tank on top of unit.. I have a 2.5 4 stroke merc.. that pushes my 20ft toon almost 4mph. if your going to troll or just putt around it's perfect.. get a tiller extender and have at it. I use it on local lakes where my 115hp isnt allowed... i tried the electric trolling motor too. took me one trip, lacked power, died to quick.. back in box it went and returned it... you'll love the power of gas.. worth every penny

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
i get the dont want to drill into the boat to install kicker mount... that said... it's not that big a deal... consider buying a small gas outboard with gas tank on top of unit.. I have a 2.5 4 stroke merc.. that pushes my 20ft toon almost 4mph. if your going to troll or just putt around it's perfect.. get a tiller extender and have at it. I use it on local lakes where my 115hp isnt allowed... i tried the electric trolling motor too. took me one trip, lacked power, died to quick.. back in box it went and returned it... you'll love the power of gas.. worth every penny

I appreciate the response
The boat has a kicker plate on it already I also have a 9.9 outboard but it is 2 stroke(from my 14ft aluminum boat) and I dont have a lot of room for the separate tank. Although I will have it on for the maiden voyage and until I can trust the merc 140.

I will admit I am being picky lol I do not like using a tiller because I normally fish by myself and will be mounting the fish finder on the dash. I know they have the shaft to connect both motors which I may end up going that route but I will probably look for a 4 stroke to avoid the gas tank issue if I can find a reasonably priced one.

MRS

Commander
You know minnkota has a unit that will self deploy and return to lock position. Not cheap but might be less than a 4 stroke motor probably not thou. Check out Trollingmotors.net they are in Texas if you do not live in Texas no tax and free shipping. I have tried a trolling plate before and hated it did not work for me but have heard others love them.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
You know minnkota has a unit that will self deploy and return to lock position. Not cheap but might be less than a 4 stroke motor probably not thou. Check out Trollingmotors.net they are in Texas if you do not live in Texas no tax and free shipping. I have tried a trolling plate before and hated it did not work for me but have heard others love them.
I was looking at those I really want an I-pilot but I'm trying to keep cost down as much as possible.

With the plate I have been reading about it destroying the lower because of back pressure and one person said he noticed badly fouled plugs. So I am wondering if there is any truth to that or or if their outdrive was already going bad and they are just blaming the plate?

Also if I add a stainless plate to the top of the bow and glass in a 3/4 ply backer through bolted if that would be enough support on the bow to add a quick release bracket for a bow mount? I am worried about added stress on the hull eventually separating the cap or causing cracks. I have only seen 1 other closed bow with a bow mount not sure if that is for a reason.