It’s always fun to hear and try other techniques. Funny how people accomplish the same task in such different manners. I guess every region comes with its own techniques.
Yes the longer rod is for getting the fish closer via high sticking.
In the video you’ll notice the beads. The beads main purpose is to stop the leaders, swivels, etc from being reeled in. Trust me, you do not want a swivel or anything for that matter going up a rod. It will destroy your eyes in quick order. Destroyed eyes on a rod are a complete nightmare. Don’t ask me how I know
I am also a firm believer in using the tools in the correct fashion, or at least getting every last drop you can out of it. I just went over some playing techniques with my buddy and solely focused on rod angle after watching him land his first salmon. Rod angle is just as important as correctly setting the drag. If your rod is pointed directly in line with your fishing line, you’ve eliminated the natural suspension you get from the rod. In order to achieve the most from your rod, you would want to always keep the rod perpendicular to the line, in a perfect setting. Along with a properly set drag. Where am I going with all this?....... Once you place your hand on the leader, everything up above goes out the window.
This might seem a bit too far for some, but remember in salmon fishing, everything is working against you and nothing is working for you. You gotta do every single thing you can to increase your chances. I’ll most likely do a video covering this, but I salmon fish with a 1% therory. Things like wearing latex gloves to keep your sent off the bait, washing your flashers and lead weights in liquid Joy, etc etc. These techniques won’t make or break you, they will just increase your chances, 1 percent at a time.