Trim/tilt question

Mac3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, have a 98 Johnson 150 Ficht. About 2 years ago the tilt/trim motor died and took the power distribution panel out as well. Ah well, I thought, that's boats but it's just done it again. I was thinking the tilt pin may be seizing although the motor never sounded like it was working hard. The first time I found that the manual release was seized and I couldn't budge it. This time I really got into it and used a freeze spray which worked. From raised to down it drops quickly but I thought the point of a manual release was so it was balanced enough to be raised by hand, I haven't got a hope. Is this a problem?
Also, anyone who has ever replaced the motor knows that 3 bolts take 15 minutes, the 4th means the engine comes off the transom :grumpy: a few days work for my backyard skills. Well I drilled a half inch hole in the transom bracket so if ever this goes again I can shove a socket straight to #4 bolt. Hopefully I haven't destroyed the integrity of the casting...
cheers
David

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim/tilt question

Gee, Why not remove the PTT unit from the outboard motor and then repair the PTT motor? It should take a few minutes to remove the bottom PTT pin, and them tilt the motor to get to the top pin. The electrical connecter will need to be removed from the PTT cable to allow it to fit thru the hole in the transom bracket.

Not sure why you are drilling holes.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mac3 i think your question was about manual release valve. if so ,once you release it you should be able to pick your outboard motor up , should be just the weight of the motor.if not your pivot pins need serviced.good luck:joyous:

Mac3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks that confirms my suspicions thought that was the case. Bit hard to remove PTT when the whole thing is stuck in the down position. I did say I was a backyarder. As usual, this is the number one forum in the world!
cheers
David