Trim Tabs

Jimmy1960

Cadet
1992 Rinker 260.

Discovered that the trim tabs will not extend. The motor runs when I push either side to retract.

The motor does not run on either side when the extend buttons are pushed.

The pump looks like original Mercruiser style

Does anyone have experience on how to test at the pump.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim Tabs

What brand are the tabs? I know that Bennett has a lot of information on their
site about troubleshooting their tabs.

Jimmy1960

Cadet

They don't look like bennet. I saw the bennet information. Was hoping tjere was something similar for mercruiser controls.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Jimmy,

Is there anyway to get a picture of the Tabs and or the pump? What color is the pump?

Mercury makes "K-Plane" Trim Tabs, but they are usually use two pumps (one per Tab) and are found on very fast racing type boats.
This is what the K-Plane Tabs and pumps look like. Sometimes people mistake their power trim pump for the Trim Tab pump.
kp.jpg

This is a Trimmaster pump (they are out of business).
06b9e360.jpg

This is a Boat Leveler pump
2269412.jpg

This is a Bennett Pump
hpu.jpg

Let me know what you think and I will be delighted to help.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Jimmy,

That really looks like a power trim pump for an outdrive. I could be wrong. Is it possible to get a picture of the Trim Tabs on the transom?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Jimmy,

I goggled your boat and and year and found a picture of the engine compartment.

mptp.jpg

Do you have another pump where I have pointed out in the photo?

Jimmy1960

Cadet

Thanks will have a look won't be back until the weekend.

I was alone so could not tell exactly where the sound was comming from. Only knew it was from the back right side.

Will look this weekend.

That does look like my setup.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Jimmy,

I am pretty sure you have Boat Leveler brand Trim Tabs.

Here is a link to their website http://www.insta-trim.com/

I can't find any troubleshooting on their site.

The Boat Leveler system is pretty easy to troubleshoot. I put together this troubleshooting based on how the system works. If you hear the pump running but the Trim Tabs are not moving, check to see that the system is getting good power as low voltage can cause the motor to run but the valves may not open. Clean the connections and pay particular attention to both ends of the ground wire at the pump. Then do the test below.

Here is he wiring for Boat Leveler.

green=Port Valve
white= Starboard Valve
red=Motor Forward (pump pressure)
yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)
black on HPU=Ground
red on Helm=Control Positive

wire2.jpg

wire1.jpg

Here is how you can test it.

Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:

Operation=Reaction
(+), Red, Green=Port trim tab down
(+), Red, White=Starboard trim tab down
(+), Red, Green, White=both trim tabs down
(+), Yellow, Green=Port trim tab up
(+), Yellow, White=Starboard trim tab up
(+), Yellow, White, Green=both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by using a hot lead. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

Make sure to check both ends of the black ground wire at the pump for corrosion.

I hope this is helpful,

Jimmy1960

Cadet

Thanks Tom will have a look at that.

The motor is running on retract but not on extension. Will test as noted.

Regards,

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am pretty sure you have Boat Leveler brand Trim Tabs.
Here is a link to their website http://www.insta-trim.com/
I can't find any troubleshooting on their site.
The Boat Leveler system is pretty easy to troubleshoot. I put together this troubleshooting based on how the system works. If you hear the pump running but the Trim Tabs are not moving, check to see that the system is getting good power as low voltage can cause the motor to run but the valves may not open. Clean the connections and pay particular attention to both ends of the ground wire at the pump. Then do the test below.
Here is he wiring for Boat Leveler.

Tom:
You're one first class guy taking the time and effort to help a fellow boater with a problem even with a competitors product.
Now that's customer service.

Mark

Jimmy1960

Cadet

Last update.

Tom thanks for the help and the wiring diagram it was very helpful. I pulled the switch disconnected all wires and cleaned all contacts and the tabs are back in service.

Cleaning off oxidation was all that was required.

Thanks everyone.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Jimmy,

I am delighted I could help and that your Trim Tabs are working again!

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jimmy,

I am delighted I could help and that your Trim Tabs are working again!

Well Tom, I'm going to be calling you about tabs for my boat here in the near future (have to pay to have my new engine installed first!) I was debating the electric vs Hydraulic....you made my choice very easy! -Joe

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Well Tom, I'm going to be calling you about tabs for my boat here in the near future (have to pay to have my new engine installed first!) I was debating the electric vs Hydraulic....you made my choice very easy! -Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate them.

Flysfloatsor

Banned

That was first class! My Bennett tabs are working great! Is there a steering wheel mounted controls available?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

That was first class! My Bennett tabs are working great! Is there a steering wheel mounted controls available?

I have only seen steering wheel controls for Power Trim, not for Trim Tabs.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

the Sea Pro 180 DC we purchased new in 2004 has proven to be my all time favorite (we haven't been without a boat since 1964 and much of that time have had more than one) .... it is the only boat I've ever owned that if/when its 90 hp Johnson needs to be replaces, we will do so .... consequently, it is a boat we are willing to spend a bit of money on .... we are considering adding Bennett?s M80 Sport Tabs with Electronic Indicator Control, Auto Tab Retractor, and Auto Tab Control .... our boat's centerline length is 17'6", beam is 7' 5", approx. wt. is 1500 LBS, has a fuel capacity of 42 gal, and an approx. draft of 9" .... the boat will be trailered and used mostly for fishing and pleasure riding in fresh water from NC to SD ... I'd appreciate comments from folks who have experience using trim tabs on such boats and as to the system we are considering

Jim

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Jim,

Ok, I'm a bit biased but I think the M80s are a perfect choice for your boat.

A few notes;

The Electronic Indicator Control has a built in Auto Tab Retractror, so there is no need to buy the separate unit.

Trim Tab indication is nice to have, but on a smaller boat like your Sea Pro the best indication of where the Trim Tabs are will be the boats reaction. On smaller boats indication is not as necessary as larger ones, and if you installed a basic M80 without the indicator control you may be just as happy without spending the extra money. If your trailer bunks extend past the transom, then you could install the Auto Tab Retractor for piece of mind.

The same thing goes for the Auto Tab Control. It is easily added after the basic installation and you may want to try running the boat with the "manual controls" before you add it.

I work for Bennett and like to see boaters buy all of our options, but on your boat I would recommend the basic M80 kit and then see if you want to add the other features!