Trim-tabs on a small boat?

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
I have read on this board that trim-tabs are useless on a small boat. Is that true?<br /><br />I have a 15' cathedral hull (actual LOA 14' 8") that I am converting to a flats boat. I also have some trim-tabs (set and forget types) that I can install. But I do not want to drill holes in the stern to put them on and go to the trouble of trying to adjust them if they won't work.<br /><br />The tabs came off an old 70's 15' bass boat. They are very sturdy but kind of small, about 10" wide and about 5" deep. Are they worth using? <br /><br />Would bigger ones be better? What size would be good?<br /><br />Thanks

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim-tabs on a small boat?

For the boat that you are building,add them,it can't hurt and not a big deal to fill in the screw holes if it doesn't help.A flats boat needs to be able to get up and out of the water on plan,due to shallow (skinny) water running.I myself added one of the sting ray whale tails to help get me up in 10" of water on a plane.I know I had lost some top end,about 3mph,but it was what I had to do to be able to jump up.My flats boat was a bass boat,guted,now C/C with all new decks.Fishes good.

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by prockvoan:<br /> My flats boat was a bass boat,guted,now C/C with all new decks.Fishes good.
How about showing us some pics of the conversion? You can email them to me.

Tabman II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

oneoldude,<br /><br />I'm Thomas and I work for Bennett Marine in the Client Service department.<br /><br />Trim tabs are just as beneficially on your 15' vessel as on a 30', since the idea is to provide running attitude correction as needed for the situation at hand. In fact, small vessels are more susceptible to attitude chances from sea/weather/weight conditions than larger vessels, so the performance gains are easier to see & feel on smaller craft. Please take a look at our Project Boat Page (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/projectboats.htm), which has many different types & size of vessels with trim tabs installed. In fact, one of the smallest vessels there is the Mitzi 15 Skiff (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/mitzi15.htm), which has a set of our M80 Sport Tabs (8" x 10") installed. As you can read in the sea trail results section, the client was quite happy with the performance gains the trim tabs provided to his vessel and the installation was much easier to complete because of their unique design features! Please contact me (trimtabs@earthlink.net) and provide some photos of your vessel (transom, console, storage compartments), so I will have a better idea of your mounting limitations/situation and can provide some suggestions to meet your needs!<br /><br />I look forward to your reply.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />MJ Thomas<br />Bennett Marine, Inc.<br />Client Services<br />trimtabs@earthlink.net<br />www.bennetttrimtabs.com

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by oneoldude:<br />
Originally posted by prockvoan:<br /> My flats boat was a bass boat,guted,now C/C with all new decks.Fishes good.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by oneoldude:<br />
I will do that,I will try to get some pic's thursday,working now before sun up till after sun down.