Trim pump wiring acting opposite

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
Hello. Added new trim tilt pump and new cylinders and was adding a 3 button switch which I was not been able to get it to work properly so I went back to my old wiring and toggle switch. . so I was multi metering and alligator clip check and for some reason the blue wire brings my outdrive all the way down and green takes it up . isn't that opposite of what supposed to happen? What could be issue could trim sender be out 180 degrees? Any help greatly appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It sounds like you reversed the wires, either at the switch, or at the pump,.....

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... It sounds like you reversed the wires, either at the switch, or at the pump,.....
i will check that ,little in depth i took an old plug end that goes to 3 switch cut wires and put plug in pump with spliced wires i tapped blue with red ( red is positive) the drive goes down ,when i tap red and green together drive goes up ,so i think this why my 3 switch only raises outdrive from bottom button, which is backwards what does the 4th wire in the harness go to

Scott06

Admiral
what does 4th wire do,i can see where it connects
I think the 4 th one is for trailer button you have two up buttons trim and trailer trim works through the limit switch trailer always works regardless of drive position

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
still baffled about why its opposite ,switched wires going to trim limit dial ,,but still the same blue and 4th wire outdrive goes down ,green goes up ,now this pump is brand new almost a plug and play ,could my wires be wrong from factory (SEI),How to find out if wiring on pump is correct

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
ok the trim limit works but opposite ,so i use green wire to raise outdrive maybe half way up ,then try trailer switch nothing,then use blue wire to lower outdrive a little til i hit my limit then switch to trailer wire and outdrive continues to lower ,so why is everything backwards?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the PTT motor uses a permanent magnet for the field, and someone turned it upside down, the motor may act like yours is acting. Any possibility of that?

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
so, would that be at anytime thru logistics ,sure the delivery service may have turned upside down nothing on box says keep upright or this side up ,if that was the case can it be corrected?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
No, the motor would need to be disassembled, and the center section turned around. A lot of those center sections can be installed either way.

I suppose the factory could screw it up, but that kind of quality breakdown would be unusual.

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
thank you Chris1956 ,i have to call sei and see what they say, totally blowing my mind , so you said turned upside down at anytime ,could delivery have caused this ?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,..... Much ado about nothing,.... Switch the wires in the pump,....
Nice to get the wiring correct so you don't totally confuse the next guy. Especially when you're the next guy and don't remember what you did

Bondo

Staff member
Nice to get the wiring correct so you don't totally confuse the next guy. Especially when you're the next guy and don't remember what you did
Which is exactly what switchin' the wires at the pump will do,.....
Green grass down,.... Blue sky up,.....