Trim problem - Mercruiser 4.3 XL Alpha I

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandhr

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
37
Trim works fine every time going up. Going down, sometimes push the button and nothing--no click, no whine, no nothing. With the engine off, I rock the handle back and forth from fwd to reverse and back a few times. Return to Neutral and trim works both up and down.

1. Assume because rocking handle works, problem is in switch/handle and not at the trim motor/solenoid (?)

2. If rocking fails to work, is there a way to manually raise/lower trim to get home and then out of water?

Housing for shift handle says Quiksilver. Any advice appreciated.
 

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
528
Re: Trim problem - Mercruiser 4.3 XL Alpha I

If you can get to the trim pump easily you can always jump a screw driver across the 2 terminals on the solenoid.1 terminal has a wire going into the motor and the other will have a hot wire on it,probably red.You have 2 solinoids,1 for up and 1 for down.Sounds like it's in your switch.Solenoids are probably fine.
 

brandhr

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
37
Re: Trim problem - Mercruiser 4.3 XL Alpha I

1. Any advice on how to check the switch--does it require disassemblying the shifter or should I be able to get to the wires behind the panel?

2. Can the trim motor be disconnected to manually lower/raise lower unit? Procedure or manual to refer to?

Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top