Trim limit wires...no where to be found

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Trim limit wires...no where to be found

Which control do you have. There are a ton of different ones.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Which control do you have. There are a ton of different ones.

It just says Mercury...the boat is a 1988 Searay..I'm trying to send a picture but it keeps saying upload to iboats failed

alldodge

Staff member

It just says Mercury...the boat is a 1988 Searay..I'm trying to send a picture but it keeps saying upload to iboats failed

Look in my signature and click on how to post pics

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

When the UP switch is triggered, power should go thru the limit switch on the drive. Check there for power, if none trace back to the UP switch.

I have replaced a lot of trim limit switch wiring, they get old corrode and fail. P.I.T.A. even if you remove the drive.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

20131214_120700.jpg20131217_115948.jpg20131217_115939.jpg

Ok I figured out how to change the pixels on my Mac photos.....This is what I have...It's slightly different then the one you send Terry....the only visible screw is way down the handle and is not accessible until its been removed from the base.....Anyone know how to disassemble this thing?

The purple and white wire is not getting any voltage the the pump.....Had an idea for diagnostic purposes...if I took a lead directly from the battery and fed it to blue and white plug with outdrive down...theoretically I should see up movement...that would isolate the control box for sure right?...

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

[

The purple and white wire is not getting any voltage the the pump.....Had an idea for diagnostic purposes...if I took a lead directly from the battery and fed it to blue and white plug with outdrive down...theoretically I should see up movement...that would isolate the control box for sure right?...

The purple/white wire should only be hot when the up switch is pressed. The red/purple should be hot all the time. The center large button, (the one you push in to disengage the throttle so you can move it) needs to be pried off. Get a small screw drive under it to pop it off. There is either a large screw under it or nut. Once button is off loosen the fastener and remove the handle. When handle is removed you can get at the switches from the back by removing the Philips screw. The link below is like yours and there could be some minor deviations.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...REMOTE+CONTROL+ASSEMBLY+(MERCONTROL+-+DELUXE)

Don't run a hot lead to the purple/white, this will just add more things to try and figure out what is happening. Once you gain access to the switches, measure the voltage readings on the red/purple. Then jumper across the red/purple to the purple/white, if it works and pressing the switch does not it is the switch.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I never saw a control like that. However, push the handle all the way forward, look on bottom of handle for a set screw either visible or covered by a pop out tab covering a set screw. That's how mine is set up.

thumpar

Admiral

Those controls look exactly like my Merc 3000 classic control just different logo.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The purple/white wire should only be hot when the up switch is pressed. The red/purple should be hot all the time. The center large button, (the one you push in to disengage the throttle so you can move it) needs to be pried off. Get a small screw drive under it to pop it off. There is either a large screw under it or nut. Once button is off loosen the fastener and remove the handle. When handle is removed you can get at the switches from the back by removing the Philips screw. The link below is like yours and there could be some minor deviations.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...REMOTE+CONTROL+ASSEMBLY+(MERCONTROL+-+DELUXE)

Don't run a hot lead to the purple/white, this will just add more things to try and figure out what is happening. Once you gain access to the switches, measure the voltage readings on the red/purple. Then jumper across the red/purple to the purple/white, if it works and pressing the switch does not it is the switch.
I'm trying to pry off the round button that is for advanced throttle....it feel like i'm going to break it....doesn't want to pop off.....there is a set screw hole on the shaft only visible at full throttle...but there is no set screw in it...

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those controls look exactly like my Merc 3000 classic control just different logo.

does the button for advanced throttle(the round one.. pop off?)

alldodge

Staff member

I got it off!!! the trick was to depress the button ...move to forward position and that relived the tension on the button...popped right off! Thanks for the PDF

Glad you go it, I forgot all about the moving the handle forward