Trim and tilt visible leaks

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
88 force125hp. Seeing visible leaks from around trim piston and tilt. Ordered the o-rings and going to grab a pin tool and 1/4” socket to get ready to do this. The unit works pretty good aside from having to add fluid before each outing. I’ve read the stickies but just wanted to hear from others in my boat, so to speak. I’ve wrenched on this motor from top to bottom but procrastinated the tnt by adding fluid but I’m sure it’s taking in water. Any insight as to which lines to disconnect, sequence, etc??
Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Take your time, use a propane torch if needed
then start looking for a replacement.
I've not had much luck getting the trim unit
apart without breaking at least 2 of the 5 screws :(
Keep us posted, maybe a few pics as you progress?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
O rings came in along with other things I’ve ordered so get the easy stuff out of the way first then gonna post back after attacking the tnt

topgun3690

Ensign
Recently replaced the trim cylinder o-rings in mine....sprayed PB blaster on the bolts the night before....came apart surprisingly easy, but this is a freshwater motor.....Sarasota salt water might be a different story...

Attachments

• IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Ok so the trim cylinder came apart surprisingly very easy and put together with new seals; works perfect-however, now the tilt cylinder sprung a steady leak from around the shaft...going to to have to dig into that issue. Can someone send a link to the special tool needed for the cap removal please -cheers!

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks-wow you’re not kiddin; pricey! I’m thinking of making one...well see

topgun3690

Ensign
My thoughts on the price......$89 for the tool or $150+ for a used tilt cylinder on ebay....or $200 for a rebuilt unit from Franz Marine.....I ended up buying the one from Franz after I damaged mine by not using the proper tool and employing unsound shop practices...lol

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
It seemed to have stopped leaking for the moment; so I’ll have to keep an eye on it-but I’ll probably end up making a tool for future since I’ve already got replacement seals for it.