Trim and starter runing at the same time when trim switch is touched ???

Ed T

Cadet
Hi Everone. I need a little help. Let me explain. First I have a 1990 90hp mercury outboard. I needed a new trim motor. And a lot of them come today with the 2 wire instead of the old 3wire. Anyway I hook it all up and I notice it ran great. But once in a while it would go slow triming it up. So I check the battery and it was low. So I went and bought a new battery 12volt Marine battery. long story short. I had the boat out and I notice the trim was going down fine a little slow but the up was taken forever. Got home and I notice something strange ever time I would hit the trim switch the started would run with it. It wouldn't engage just spin strange huh. Weather up or down. Now according to the instruction on the trim motor I was to hook up the battery lead to the trim motor solenoid. Also I notice when it was going up I was thinking by the started runing at the same time as the trim motor wouldn't that be pulling a lot of juice and that can cause it to go slow. And my battery would drain faster. And Also I notice when I used the trim the needle on my voltage meter would drop and this is while moveing in the water. Now if that is my problem and if anyone can help me. I was thinking of runing a new wire direct to the battery and if anyone think thats ok to solve this mess. My email is et1957_99@yahoo.com Ed

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim and starter runing at the same time when trim switch is touched ???

Ed, I need a little help to understand. Did you replace a 3 wire motor with a two wire PTT motor? You hinted at that. Did you then install 2 new relays to replace the 2 solenoids? How did you wire it? Obviously if the starter is turning when you hit the trim button, the two systems are interconnected, and they shouldn't be. Is the starter spinning in the normal direction, or backward?

Ed T

Cadet

Hi supreme Yes I did replace my 3 wire with the 2 wire. And yes it did come with 2 new solenoids. Backwards. The instruction on the new wireing said remove the old solenoids and install the new trim relays. It also says connect the red wire of the new harness to the starter solenoid and connect it with the positive battery cable I done all that. So all this time I have been running the boat and triming the motor the starter was going at the same time sucking juice out of the battery. Could it be the wire on the starter solenoid (red one + ) that can be causeing it cause thats the only wire from the new harness and relays thats attach to there the others are just switch wires what you think can I run a wire direct to the battery take it off the starter solenoid. its just there cause that is the nearest place for juce. One more thing My stator has 6 wires out of it 2 yellow 1 blue 1 red and 1 red and white and 1 blue and white Now I know were the solid blue and white go. But were does the red and white and the blue and white go. I think some one put a stator for a 4cylinder i have a 3 cylinder. Do i just leave the red/wht and blue/white off and tape them up. cause there is no place on the switch box for them. Or can I put them with the solid ones. Ed

Ed T

Cadet

Hi supreme I fix the problem. It was a ground from the new trim system. I moved it off the starter ground. Too a diffrent spot. And try it. Worked great. Trim going up and down with plenty of power, And starter stop runing at the same time. Thanks for your help early. Ed