Transom

Kardar2

Cadet
I need to replace my transom and saw some videos on that liquid pour transom. Has anyone used this and is it a lifetime warranty thing ? Thanks

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’ve used Seacast several times . If you do the prep right it will be there forever .. Arjay is another one that’s out there . I’ve never used it . I think it may be more loose or liquidy ..
The Seacast you mix fibers in . Oatmeal consistency…

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do you have to take all the rotten wood / moisture out before pouring in the Seacast ?

Kardar2

Cadet
Do you have to take all the rotten wood / moisture out before pouring in the Seacast ?
I myself will take the wood out. I am guessing you would have large voids. I did see on guy on YouTube say something to the affect that it in cases the wood. But I am going to take the time to do it right. But thinking that it is really thick and you have such a small working time I would not see how it would even work with the wood in there.

Reactions: KJM

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yes and clean the skins really good ..The best way is to take the inside skin off like you would for a wood replacement . It just makes it easier to grind it really clean but you don’t have too . A wire wheel sized to fit welded to a metal pencil rod works good . Just use a drill to spin it ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I wasn’t worried about how long it took . I just wanted a transom that would never rot ever again ..

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes and clean the skins really good ..The best way is to take the inside skin off like you would for a wood replacement . It just makes it easier to grind it really clean but you don’t have too . A wire wheel sized to fit welded to a metal pencil rod works good . Just use a drill to spin it ..
I thought the idea of a poured in transom was you didn't need to take the inside skin off? How did you keep the liquid in place, build a temperary wall inside? You could just use a manufacture core material and fiberglass it in the usual way.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You don’t have to take the skin off . It’s just easier to get it good and clean for best possible adhesion if you do open it up .. reuse the old inside skin or laminate new . You must add the spacers to keep its shape and finish thickness .. Make your own spacers or buy the pre made ones ..