Transom replacement

Thegen

Cadet
So I picked up a 1990 javelin 378 fs and the floor was soft so this led me to looking into other things. Now I'm nervous about the wood in the transom. The stringers appear to be in good shape so my question is, can I remove the motor, aluminum plate and drains then cut out the top of the splashwell and replace the ply wood from there? I really don't have room in the garage to pull the whole cap. Thanks!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Call factory ??------Some Javelin boats ( 1997 and newer ) may have composite transoms.----I would drill some 1/4 holes ( from inside ) and see if there is wood in transom.-----If drill pukes out black stuff it could be rotten plywood.

Last edited:

Thegen

Cadet
Call factory ??------Some Javelin boats ( 1997 and newer ) may have composite transoms.----I would drill some 1/4 holes ( from inside ) and see if there is wood in transom.-----If drill pukes out black stuff it could be rotten plywood.
I drilled a couple holes, its wet but nothing came out. As far as I know they no longer make boats. There are some pics on the internet of similar javelin boats that the transom wood just appears to be as wide as the splashwell area. I will see if I can screenshot them and put them on here as long as it's not a no no to post other people's pics.

Thegen

Cadet
Does anyone know of the transom construction on this boat or similar javelin/stratos models? I'm thinking about doing the arjay 6011. If it's just in the dimensions of the splashwell, I will only need a 5 gal kit. Thanks!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
nearly all boats in 1990 were wood construction. especially all of the OMC brands back then (Stratos, Javelin, Chris Craft, Hydrosport, Four Winns, etc.)

for just the transom, 5 feet of stringers and a bulkhead on my boat, I went thru 15 gallons of resin, 4sheets of plywood, 30 yards of CSM and 25 yards of 1708.

YMMV

remember, you will most likely mix up at least one or two hot batches and make trophies (bucket of hardened resin with a brush or roller sticking out of it)

Thegen

Cadet
nearly all boats in 1990 were wood construction. especially all of the OMC brands back then (Stratos, Javelin, Chris Craft, Hydrosport, Four Winns, etc.)

for just the transom, 5 feet of stringers and a bulkhead on my boat, I went thru 15 gallons of resin, 4sheets of plywood, 30 yards of CSM and 25 yards of 1708.

YMMV

remember, you will most likely mix up at least one or two hot batches and make trophies (bucket of hardened resin with a brush or roller sticking out of it)
Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of replacing the two shorter stingers around the storage compartment in the floor now and I'm going to remove the wet wood in the bilge area and replace the wet foam back there. The stingers in the back seem pretty solid. I am really just interested in replacing the transom wood after that and then after our trip I'm going to really tear into this thing. I have done quiet a bit of fiberglass/body repair when we all use to run around in tuners and air bagged s-10's lol. So I have some experience with mixing product properly and whatnot. Though I realize that what I'm doing here is for structural purposes as opposed to cosmetic. I attached some pics I found on the web of another javelin that someone redid. It appears to me that the transom wood doesn't/cant go all the way accross the back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220115-113421_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220115-113421_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20220115-113404_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220115-113404_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220115-113345_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220115-113345_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have wet foam, you have wet stringers and transom. you do not have solid stringers

from the look at the pictures, I would recommend a full gut-n-rebuild.