Transom Repair

defishinsea

Recruit
Hello fellow boaters,
Just got a 1960 CADORETTE for free. I know there is no such thing as a "free" boat especially this old. It's a 14ft fiberglass boat with a 60HP Johnson engine. Now it's time to replace the transom. I decided to go by removing the outter skin and then removed the old transom which was rotten all the way around. The reason I chose to go from outside was because the boat has a splaswell in the back and working from inside without cutting into the splashwell would have been a colossal job.
Anyway everything is removed and cleaned up and it's time to put back a new transom.
Here is where my question comes in; when I cut the outter skin I left a lip of glass all the way around and now I cannot insert the transom in one piece. The only way is to cut the corner caps which are made of glass and then insert the transom from atop. I don't wanna do this as I am thinking that would mess up with the strength of the hull if the corners are not done correctly. My question is can I cut my transom in 2 pieces vertically so I can fit them in? Should the cut be right in the middle or towards any of the edges so that where the motor mounts would be a single piece of wood? Straight cut or 45 degrees? Any metal brackets from the interior to hold the 2 pieces together or the inner and outter skin will hold the transom solid? Any input from you if highly appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no, you cant cut your transom in two pieces. think if it as cutting your spine in half and being able to walk and carry things. for strength, the transom needs to be one piece

you realize that doing it from the outside is twice the work as doing it from the inside, even with the splashwell and cap which you could have removed.

cut the outside skin all the way to the corners, you will need to taper-grind the sides of the hull over a 6-8" distance anyway to tie it all back together.

your stringers will also need to be replaced. and probably the knee braces too.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I’m gunna disagree with Scott. You can make a two piece transom but the joints must me staggered. A 18” cut on opposite ends Will do the trick. Use plenty of Titebond III and plenty of transom clamps. She’ll be as strong as a 1 piece.