Transom repair on Lakeland fiberglass.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hell. I gotta replace the transom on my 94 Lakeland 16 footer tri hull boat but noticed something odd when taking it apart. I ripped the carpet off and saw that the wood of the transom was incased in this fiberglass shell so I ripped it off and saw that the wood was rotted so bad it looks like literal mulch. But now I’m wondering how do I go about this for repair. It seems like the transom was made like this permanently and never meant to be replaced but it quite obviously needs to be replaced. Do I put a new piece of wood in this fiberglass shell thing and call it a day? How do I keep the new wood from rotting? Here’s the pics. Hopefully someone has dealt with this before and knows the go to route for fixing this. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4764.jpeg
    IMG_4764.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4763.jpeg
    IMG_4763.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4762.jpeg
    IMG_4762.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 17

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Its all got to come out.

All the info you need is in the thread below.

What to do, how to do it, materials to use, etc..

Start by removing the motor, and then part of the deck to expose the stringers below. Then determine if the stringers need replacing also.
This could easily turn into a job you really don't want to do, due to cost of material and time commitment.

It would certainly be easier and faster, probably cheaper, to find another boat.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Its all got to come out.

All the info you need is in the thread below.

What to do, how to do it, materials to use, etc..

Start by removing the motor, and then part of the deck to expose the stringers below. Then determine if the stringers need replacing also.
This could easily turn into a job you really don't want to do, due to cost of material and time commitment.

It would certainly be easier and faster, probably cheaper, to find another boat.
Now could I do a half ass job and put a piece of wood in the transom in between that fiberglass shell?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You won't save much Time or Money by doing a Half Assed Job, vs. doing it Right, in fact you will likely end up doing it again...

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You won't save much Time or Money by doing a Half Assed Job, vs. doing it Right, in fact you will likely end up doing it again...
Maybe it’s because I’ve never done this before but if I cut a nice thick piece of wood to fit in there and epoxied it, bolted the motor back in then we’d be golden…or not? Lol. I definitely don’t wanna put a ton of time and energy into this thing but would like to get it going so I at least could use it for this upcoming season and then worry about getting another new boat after that. If possible.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the Transom is that Rotted, the Stringers are likely in similar Condition.
You can do whatever You want, it is your Boat, and your Life, and possibly Other's Lives that will be on that boat...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you answered your own question.

outboard motors are trying to pry the transom off the boat. if it was me, I would want that transom to be right so the boat doesnt sink and kill me

the links in post #2 include all the information you need to restore a boat hull.

expect between $2k and $3k to restore your boat hull

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Fun, No! Boredom Relief, oh yeah

Should NEVER back the Trailer up with the motor down. Caution is also needed when on the water and reversing, as the same can happen if the motor strikes an Object

airshot

Rear Admiral
Boats rot from the bottom UP....so if the transom is rotted, so is rhe rest of the wood skeleton of the boat !! Dig deep, you have lots of rotted wood to repair !! By all means get good quality resperators and safety equipment, fiberglass dust will eat up your lungs before you are done if you don't use safety gear !!

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Boats rot from the bottom UP....so if the transom is rotted, so is rhe rest of the wood skeleton of the boat !! Dig deep, you have lots of rotted wood to repair !! By all means get good quality resperators and safety equipment, fiberglass dust will eat up your lungs before you are done if you don't use safety gear !!
I guess I didn’t think there would be all this wood on a fiberglass boat.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I guess I didn’t think there would be all this wood on a fiberglass boat.
Ahhh... half the time the crap comes out of the factory like that waiting to fail.
So like the guys mentioned above this is no little butter up deal but it can be done. If you are uncomfortable with the tasks that need to be done then move on to another used boat with more than likely similar problems.
Been there done that.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ahhh... half the time the crap comes out of the factory like that waiting to fail.
So like the guys mentioned above this is no little butter up deal but it can be done. If you are uncomfortable with the tasks that need to be done then move on to another used boat with more than likely similar problems.
Been there done that.
I actually picked up this other boat kinda similar except there’s no wood on it. At least that I’m aware off. The whole transom is fiberglass. Everything looks to be fiberglass. Unless I’m wrong…

Attachments

• IMG_4790.png
    IMG_4790.png
    4 MB · Views: 14

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I actually picked up this other boat kinda similar except there’s no wood on it. At least that I’m aware off. The whole transom is fiberglass. Everything looks to be fiberglass. Unless I’m wrong…

Attachments

• IMG_4789.png
    IMG_4789.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 6

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Transom is wood

Hull is foam core

Weigh the boat. Most foam core boats are waterlogged
If it’s wood then it’s solid because this transom doesn’t budge. And if it’s wood then it’s completely incased in the fiberglass. I’m not dropping anywhere close to 2k on that other boat I paid $1700 bucks for. So that one’s getting trashed. Sucks. I loved that other boat.