Transom Re-enforcement

LiLGrady17

Seaman
Not sure if this is the right forum. Since it's not exclusively related to the manufacturer of my O/B, I figured this was the best availalble choice..

I'm in the process of hanging a replacement O/B motor. On the top engine bolts, the PO wound them down really tight, enough to dimple the FG on inside of splash well.. Onr the lower bolts, they were wound very tight as well.. Retrieving the lower bolts from my bilge, they had large clear silicone masses on the heads (you can make out the rings in the pic), but some other sealant in the threads, and some crust salty deposits on the hull side with resin flakes attached. Where the bolt come thru the hull, into the bilge area, the resin & gel have some chips off inside of the hull down to the wood.. Poking into the hull inside the holes, it's hard, no mush. Boat was always trailered with said PO, so I don't think any big damage was done. Transom is solid, no flex or waves. Can I clean up the surface, & use 5200 or epoxy, on a piece of starboard to spread out the load inside the transom, & to seal up these areas missing resin? Then I would drill the starboard, & though bolt everything??? Most of the lines away from the actual holes I can't feel with my fingernail.. Some are dirt & dryed silicone as well..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/NYdeer/GWTransom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom Re-enforcement

I am getting ready to completely re-do my transom so I dont know exactly how things are done, but if I were you, I would at least peel the indside layer of fiberglass off to make sure the transom really is solid....i have heard horror stories of transoms looking and feeling solid, but once tore out, the inside was a mess:eek:
Then, if transom truly is solid, re-glass the wood and you are set. If there are signs of rot I guess you will be joinging the crowd and we can learn to re-do a transom!
P.S. I have heard that a good way to get an accurate idea of wood condition is to take a small drill bit and drill holes in diff areas of the transom (as well as floor and stringers). I would drill in top, middle, bottom, and sides to make sure there is no rot (check shavings to determine condition)
Good Luck!

Last edited:

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boy, to me there looks like some serious damage. If nothing else, there has been an awful lot of stress put on that transom. I would post a pic from a little farther away because in just that one shot I would think there isnt a chance in...well you get the idea...that that is a good transom.

Utahboatnut

I agree with above, if I had to judge from that shot alone I would say transom is GONE. My last boat 196 Wellcraft the transom looked perfect as I was replacing the transom drains I stuck my finger in the hole and was shocked to find it was mush, along with the rest of the transom. I had been skiing/cruising/family all on board/tubeing etc. With a totally shot transom and a 235 horse rude that was about 400 lbs. Be SURE all is good.

jonesg

Admiral

Yeh, transom looks shot from that pic but you won't know til you chisel that glass layer off and grind down to wood. It might be good.

If engine bolts compress the transom its gotta be soft inside to do that.
I would rather glass the inside of the transom wall than glue startboard in there, it will seal it better.
If the wood isn't strong enough then its gone and starboard would be like a bandaid on cancer.

LiLGrady17

Seaman

I'm sure in the 34 yrs the boat has been around, the transom has has it's share of abuse. Under my ownership, it has had some stress from a few groundings last year. Then the OB became frozen down over the winter when a lift piston froze, and was lifted/pryed a bit to get it freed up enough to cut.. So I can't tell you the condition before I got a look today..

Inside the mount holes, the material is hard though. I'm sure I could gouge out some material with a pick.. Its raining up here now, so more pics will have to wait. I'll tap test the thing, then drill some test holes about an inch below from visible damage & see what I get. Stripping the inside resin layer would be really tough. There are jump seats molded aside the engine splash well, with supports running down to the floor. To get into the bilge, one arm through the access port, or I need to lay down & reach under blindly. Working this way is out of the question. If major transom work is needed, I'll need to remove/modify the rear deck as well.. Thanks for the heads up, I'll post back what I find..

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That does look to be in some rough shape. I would defenetly be doing some exploring of the transom before I put anything on there.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Rot or no rot, that looks bad and needs to be repaired. Starboard is worthless in this application, it needs to be reglassed at a minimum, but most likely totally rebuilt.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with everyone above about your transom either shot or on it's last leg. Two things in your picture bother me. Looks like rust around the hole from previous bolts and lots of cracks. Both indicate water damage in the transom.

IMO- tap test is a waste of time. A water soaked transom and a newly glassed transom both sound solid, for obvious reasons. I did the "tap" test thinking I was alright. Well, I had a rotted transom like everyone else.

If the boat is 34 years old and hasn't had a transom replacement, then you might want to seriously consider it.

Sorry, probably not the news you wanted to hear but it isn't as bad as you would think.

LiLGrady17

Seaman

I removed the transom molding, and started prodding. Starboard side has the most rot. In three of the molding screw holes on that side, pushing a small screwdrivewr in revealed little resistance, at left,right &straight down. Not good.. The other 3/4 of the molding screw bores seems solid. The OB holes, the starboard lower has some rotten stuff I was able flake out, still wet. The other three are bores are tight.. I'm a bit discouraged at this point, and the time I can devote to it in the next 2-3 moths will be limited. I've discussed it with the Missus, & will be cleaning / wrapping the boat up for the winter, and research how to proceed in the spring..

I want to thank everyone for all the input & the heads up.. It was a bad feeling getting stuck out there with the boat intact. I cant imagine the feeling if the transom & engine sank!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I'd imagine you would feel kind of wet ;)

Sorry, counldn't pass it up. :D

A lot of good threads in here with rebuilt transoms.

chrishayes

Yeah man, tough break, but hey, at least you know now. I did the exact same thing. Tubing, cruising with 4 or 5 people, dogs ya know all the things that one should not be doing with a boat that is just BARELY holding together!

The good thing is that you are in THE right place. No need to feel alone or overwhelmed. We mostly have all been there too and will help all we can when you are ready to tackle it. The nightmare will get worse once you open her up, betcha. Dont be discouraged though, the feeling of having a sound boat in the end will make up for the empty feelings now. Or you could always buy a new boat!

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with chris... from the pic its history.... i know its not what you want to hear but it is alot better than sinking and someone really getting hurt .... its almost the off season and take your time do it right do it once and enjoy the heck out of it next year with a worry free mind...

jonesg

Admiral

Its simple, get a cheap sawzall and cut the splashwell along with 3 feet of deck away so you can get at the transom, rip it out and install a new one.

Start it now, make a stand for the engine and rent a hoist, do as much as possible before winter sets in hard and it'll be a lot easier to finish up next spring. Buy the plywood now so it can dry out good in the basement.