transom problem

kinsmen

Cadet
I have a 17' 3" runabout with a 3.0 Alpha one drive and a 140 mercrusier. When I drilled to install my transducer it was hollow at the bottom of my transom. The upper 2/3 seems very solid from the holes I drilled but this bottom section has me concerned. What can be done to correct this problem excluding a complete rebuild? What can I expect in the future if left untouched?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: transom problem

You could try pouring it. I have no first-hand experiance with this process, nor do I know enough about it to endorse it. But I have read here that it does work.<br /> CLICK HERE. for a link to the product and process.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I poured Seacast as a repair for a 20 ft. Sportcraft this summer. Cut off the transom top, hogged out the old wood with a chainsaw, poured it in capped the top again and it is solid as a rock. Not cheap, not an overnight job, but great results. Can't tell I even worked on it by looking. I would do it this way again. I even poured a couple of extra stringers in the aft section while I was at it even the ones already there seemed OK.. Hope this helps.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Feel or prob inside the holes. If its totally hollow, and no water dribbeled out, the boat was made that way.<br /><br />The outboard edges of the transom for a I/O don't really do much 'work' holding the hull together like a transom for a outboard.<br /><br />The stresses are born by the transom under the outdrive, and by the engine mounts and transmitted to the bottom of the hull.<br /><br />I've seen a transom for a Mercruiser 235hp V-8 I/O that only had wood going out about a foot from the sides of the outdrive. The plywood part of the transom only came out far enough to tie in with the rear ends of the engine mounts. The outboard sides of of the transom were cardboard--- the brown paper type cardboard like a cardboard box is made with. The cardboard was glassed over along with the wooden center section just to give it shape so it would 'look right' to most non-structural engineers. The area of the transom outboard of your engine mounts may have been left as a void also to save a little weight and doing so wouldn't give up enough strength with that small of an engine to matter.<br /><br /><br />But, then again--- if you get mushy, wet sawdust and chips out from your holes,,, its rotted, and probably for a few inches up from all along the bottom edge of the transom board too. If so, that gets pretty serious.

kinsmen

Cadet

Thanks for the response for each of you. It seems the best thing to do right now is to probe the transom with bigger holes. It does appear from a curser examination that wood chips are not envolved and that a hollow area exists. If I find out that rotting wood is envolved, I will try using the seacast material. Postings and pictures will follow but it won't be pretty as I am cursed when it comes to fixing anything.