transom other than wood

i have seen a post on here that someone had some type of plastic board or composite material to replace the wood in their transome on an aluminum boat i just cant find it i am just trying to find a material other than wood and no i dont want any two part pour in stuff thanks for your info guys

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: transom other than wood

Some sealed Marine Grade plywood will last for YEARS, why don't you want to use wood, it has stood the test of time. Just curious.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Use marine grade plywood and seal it good with epoxy, it'll be there as long as you want the boat.

i just checked the price on sea cast vs. coosa board looks like im going with the 2 part pour in stuff after all that coosa board is pricey i might build my cosoles with it though anyone done this or can dirrect me to a post they have seen where someone has built consoles with coosa just a thought

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Yep it's VERY pricey, this is why I recommend the plywood, much cheaper and it'll hold up fine. How do you pour a transom on a tinny? Not a tin guy, but I can't picture this method, the sea cast, nidabond, etc uses the inner and outter fiberglass skin to hold the mixture.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't imagine doing a pourable transom on a tinnie. A typical wood transom replacemt on one isn't even that big a deal where it would be that bad to have to do again someday. Regardless, a marine grade, fully fiberglassed transom will outlive you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had another thought, the guys that have used the pourable transoms describe some intense heat being given off while the compound cures. I'd want to make sure that wasn't going to damage the aluminum.

dint think it threwenough yet i guess maybe i will use the coosa even though its pricey wont have to worry about the heating up or the terible mess of epoxy or the pourin seacast and when its done it will be forever

i have worked with glass on mt last boat project and have pretty much decided that i will never again the whole process just makes me nuts thats why i b ought a tin boat and i will always have a tin boat nothing to rott love it

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, my 2 cents worth. A Glassed in WOOD transom for a TIN BOAT is the ONLY way to GO! It will Cost Less than $150.00 It will Last 40+ years if you do it right and Maintain it properly. It will Take 2 Days to build. I can see NO Negatives at all. But, ALL my years of experience probably don't count for much and I'm sure that ALL the rest of the guys on here that have a LOT more experience than me, their experience DON"T count for much either, sooooooooooooo..... you go ahead and buy that COOSA Board.... and pay us no Never Mind and I'll do the same for you!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

my tinny has an inner and outer skin thanks for everyones suggestions much apreciated

Give us some pics please :) ..

I dont suggest nida or seaC at this moment..but I dont see what you see.. need some pics.

YD.

wow didnt realize i was offending anyone just looking for some info and ideas not somebody giving me a guilt trip cause i didnt wanna use wood maybe you do things your way and i do things mine thanks woodonglass

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Last year some guy was selling composite transom material, he had a dozens of them that were in the rough shape of a transom. He wanted like $75 each. I didn't know what it was but it looked just like that coosa stuff. Look around on craigslist or Ebay and you may find something. I'll look around here and if I find his info I'll send it to you. People evidently love their glassed plywood but if you can find one of those composites for anywhere near the same price it would be worth it.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jay - I'm like you... If a wood transom was such a great thing, no one would be posting about replacing them. I NEVER want to replace my transom - ever again. I went on a wood eradication campaign on my boat (I could just feel it rotting while I was on the water). You might check around for fiberglass distributors. I ended up getting some odds/ends pieces of fiberglass laminate (cost me ~$20). I laminated the pieces to the desired thickness, then cut it to shape. Hard as he!! to cut, but you can get a jig-saw blade that's appropriate. Here's a picture of my transom.

Jul08%20010.jpg

Never will have to do this job again!