Transom or boat leaking on plane

Hi there. I'm pretty new to the forum and boats for that matter, so forgive any crazy terms I may use.
The problem I'm am needing a solution for is this:
1992 20' stratos XL 195 transom is taking on water while on plane. The rate of the leak would be 15 min riding= 6-7" water in transom. I have asked everybody and search over and over to no avail.
With boat on the trailer, I filled the entire stringer and transom up to above the battery compartments in the back and let it set a few days on the driveway to look for leaks. The driveway was dry as a bone 3 days later. Hmm?
While setting still fishing, no water at all is seen coming in talents the part I can see I. The transom.
Thank you in advance for any help or what to look for as fishing time is right around the corner for my parts.
JR

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transom or boat leaking on plane

If it's an Inboard/outboard, you should check the bellows for cracks and tears. These are the rubber boots that are in back below and behind your outdrive. Pictures of your transom area will help for sure.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Is an outboard though. image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think it's an outboard bass boat, not an I/O.

Are you sure that the water's not just below decks, and as you get up on plane, the water shifts to the back of the boat from where ever it is?

If it were mine, I'd leave the boat on the trailer, attached only at the bow via the winch post & back it as deep down a ramp as possible. The boat should float clear of the trailer, but on the off chance it fills w/ water you can pull it back up the ramp. Then look EVERYWHERE for water flowing into the boat.

As a high speed bass boat, I can't think of anywhere water would be forced into the boat while on plane, that it wouldn't also leak out if filled, or fill while at rest at the dock. Perhaps FASTER since you're moving and FORCING the water in, but it should still be flowing in at rest.

In fact w/ multiple drains & fills for live & bait wells, I'd think it'd take on water at rest before it would on plane. There's very little of a bass boat in or touching the water while on plane, and NONE of the thru hulls should be underwater while on plane. Or at least there's not supposed to be very much of the boat, or any fittings.

The exception would be a high speed scupper on the bottom of the hull for the live or bait wells. But if the hose/fitting is cracked or broken it'd leak water out while on the trailer if it's got water below decks.

jbcurt00

Staff member

For better perspective this is a shot of the bilge at the back of the boat:
image_zps4b14e138.jpg

The white pumps are for filling the live/baitwells & have strainers on the back of the boat:
attachment.php

And the yellow pumps are actual bilge pumps.

I don't think the water is coming IN to the boat while on plane, I think it's shifting to the transom from somewhere up front under the deck.

And until I figured out how & why, I probably wouldn't use the boat in more then 2ft of water.........

Unless you JUST pulled the boat out of the water in that 2nd pix I reposted, there's water draining out of the transom somewhere up behind the jack plate. That's not a good sign either.

Ok. Thank you for the detailed info. As now you probably see my confusion as well.
I will try the trailered launch and look there as I'm really at a stand still with this. To add, I have ran the bilge pump while running the river and seeing water being pumped out the entire time.

To jbcurt: good eyes, but that actually came down when I removed the tarp to take pics. It is raining here today.
And thanks for the reply really looking for help on this one.

We'll it is sounding like the boat is really taking on water while sitting still then when I go to plane out it rushes back to the transom. Means a cracked hull?

jbcurt00

Staff member

All manner of stuff could lead to water below decks.

Keeping it well covered w/ a tarp should be keeping rain water out while the boat's not in use, correct?

How long have you had the boat, since it's a 'new' to you nearly 25yr old boat?

Fairly small damage, if left un-repaired can eventually lead to large volumes of water below decks. But if you're pumping water out regularly every time you use the boat, it sounds like it's a continuing problem that needs to be addressed soon.

If it's a large volume of water, 6-7" in 15-20min sounds like a lot, then it doesn't sound like a small leak.

Bestmason

Seaman Apprentice

A friend of mine had a similar problem in a trihull. It would leak sitting still and we would have to bilge pump it out at speed. We found his problem at the front right along the keel where it had rubbed the bottom over the years. Apparently a small (very small) crack ensued from bouncing on the bottom while beached and it would take on water at the front and show up at the back when we would crank up and move. After some glass and resin he sealed the crack. The boat was apply named "Bottom Bound". ED

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Do you have any access hatches further forward that can be removed for inspection up front? If you filled the stern of the boat with water and it didn't leak then the water must be coming from forward. I would get under the boat in the driveway and inspect it very carefully for any signs of cracks or hull damage of any kind.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The two most common places for any boat to leak is the rub rail and motor through bolts.
I can't count how many boats I've had to seal the rub rail up on that leaked only when water was spraying hard against the
bottom of the rub rail at speed.
Motor bolts usually leak all the time but I've seen a few cases where the torque of the motor made the leak worse under speed.
A buddy of mine had an older Glastron that used to take on water at speed and it turned out to be water coming into the splashwell drains and working its way down to the bilge through the wiring boot and two access panels that weren't well sealed.

dozerII

Admiral

It could also be the live well leaking or one of the hoses feeding or draining it. That is what happened on my first
StarCraft, SS 160 the two hoses going to it had chaffed and rubbed through allowing the water into the hull.

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Double check livewell drains from the front

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I also suggest looking at the livewell plumbing. I have replaced many livewell fittings and hoses over the years on friends and family members boats.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I agree...... I will bet it is the livewell plumbing and you have a cracked connection or a leaking one.