Transom issues

macksk8er

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased an 05 center console boat. I did not notice this before purchase, but it appears that I have a few hairline cracks in the transom at the base of the outboard. I am trying to figure out if these cracks are the start of something major. Any assistance would be appreciated. This is the only picture they show up in. In brighter light at different angles you cannot see them.
transom.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Transom issues

Hard to say from the one pic, but they could be either stress cracks from a one time event (like hitting a log) or they could be signs of the core starting to rot.

The best way to tell the condition of your transom is to drill small test holes in areas that are suspect (near bolt holes, edges not sealed, etc) and see what comes out. Wet wood appears dark and the particles stick together, light wood is white and powdery. Use about a 1/8" drill bit, and fill the holes after with marine-tex or a similar epoxy filler. Drill from the inside if you can so the holes don't show.

Alternatively you can use the knock technique if you're familiar with it... tap on the wood of the transom with a hard blunt object like a small hammer... you should be able to hear the transom "ring" (listen just after the impact) if the wood is good. Tapping your way along to places you think are suspect the tone will change to a "thud" if there's water in there (density change in the core due to water).

Erik

macksk8er

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info, but the transom is not wood it is a composite. Would you still hear a thud? Will a non wood transom still rot or fall apart if water is getting in?

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like it might have hit something at some point. When towing use a transom saver rough roads and a heavy outboard could have caused the stress cracks. Since it's not wood no need to drill and check. Just watch it and make sure they don't get and worse, also make sure the motor is bolted on good and snug and not loose.

jonesg

Admiral

It looks like a patch repair gone wrong.
I can see paint on the outboard bracket flange, is that correct?
Hard to tell from one pic.

If it took a smack and only the skin was fixed then it will compress and crack when the outboard bolts are tightened.
See if you can tighten the outboard bolts, if yes, then its compressing.
It can be fixed.!

macksk8er

Seaman Apprentice

I will try to tighten them the next time I am out there working on the boat. There are some on the other side as well. Only on the lower bolt holes. Top ones on the outside and on the splash well are fine. The bottom ones are not pulling in on the inside either. Transom is solid with no flex. I may just run it as is this summer and keep an eye on it. It is a 2005 boat and has a composite transom. I don't think leaving it for now would cause too much damage? Worse case I would have to pay to have it shipped to the manufacturer to be fixed as it is still under warranty for 5 more years.

macksk8er

Seaman Apprentice

Oh and I think what you are seeing on the outboard is wax or buffing compound. It came off with a rag.