Transom Core Replacement Only

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the downside to replacing the transom from the top if you have access? I have a 1979 Wellcraft v20 for which I need to replace the transom. I was thinking of hollowing out the plywood core with a chainsaw and fitting a new epoxied plywood core in from the top without cutting the inner or outer skin of the transom. Will this work?

dolluper

Captain
Re: Transom Core Replacement Only

Don't think so,but you could use the seacast pour in transom method,it has to be real clean even for seacast.If you do try let us know how you make out,I would say don't even bother, cut the inner skin out and do it right[outter skin in tact don't touch it]except sanding it up and cleaning

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did what your going to do except i used a electric one.Then i used a plumbers drill which is about 3 feet long and used a good vacum

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bosavy, How were your results?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It all depends on where the rot is as it all must come out.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

mulv80,<br /><br />I'm sure you have read on the mfgboats.com websit that Seacast is the only way to go. When my MFG needs a transom replacement, I will probably try to do like you want to do, pull the core out the top and drop in a new plywood core. <br /><br />I would give it a try and see how easy it is to gouge out the core. From what I read from various members on mfgboats, it really doesn't get to be time consuming until you hit bottom.<br /><br />You should be able to laminate up a plywood core with epoxy and glass, then force it down in the transome with a liberal coating of epoxy on the core and inside the transom. <br /><br />Of course, you won't know until you try.

BillP

Captain

I think it could work if you planned on gap filling with epoxy resin around the new wood. If the old wood isn't completely rotten it is a bitxx to get it off the inner and outer skins. Digging out from the top will leave rough surfaces and make it tough to get good mating surfaces between skins and new wood. That means putting thinner wood back in and pouring something around it to take the gap up. <br /><br />Let us know how it works.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A few months back we were discussing ways to clamp the transom while resin set. Crappie_Fan took my advice on making Spanish Windless clamps. He was happy with the results. This is his boat during the transome repair and the clamps he made:<br /><br />
076.jpg

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had to take all the wood out , but my results were excellant.I used marine plywood and west marine expoxy,very good product.I used alot of clamps and use the directions on the can . good luck

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have read here and there about the seacast product. has anyone used it yet? any ideas on how much it takes to fill a transom. heres my transom engine off now tho<br /> im just curious on outer or inner skin ive read alot on both also. ive even read to just take the top off and go at it with an electric chainsaw and a wrecking bar. whats the best way to go about it ive already replaced the entire deck. the only part thats not in is the last ply so i have room to work on the transom.<br />any help appreciated <br /><br />
post-2-1125284910.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Garrett61,<br /><br />I priced it out for my boat and it came to $400 $500. I forget if that included shipping or not. They tell you how to estimate how much you need to fill your transom on their website. <br /><br />Apparently it does work very well. I have only read good reviews from people who used it. But it is expensive. I remember reading the formula somewhere and it is basically polyester resin, chopped glass and micro filler.<br /><br />Here is a link to mfgboats.com where the owner of the site documented his seacast repair....<br /><br /> mfgboats.com transom repair with Seacast

BillP

Captain

Seacast is polyester CASTING resin with glass added. Casting resin is more flexible and can be poured thick without cracking. It's the same resin seen on tables with thick clear tops with sea shells, etc suspended in them.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bill,<br /><br />Thanks for clarifying the resin. Do you think the regular poly resin would work if poured in layers? Is cracking only a curing problem, or is it a problem over the life of the cured resin?<br /><br />Sooner or later I will have to do my transom. Just looking at all the options I can come up with. I like the idea of solid resin/glass or epoxy/glass over plywood, but with the price of Seacast, it makes plywood look really good.<br /><br />EDIT:<br /><br />Found this site that sells casting resin. Also has many different types of poly resin. The casting resin is only $95 for a 5 gallon bucket! US Composits

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Mark42 and bill for a quick response. i had seen there formula on the seacast site and at first i thought they just wanted you to buy more heh. If i choose not to go about it the seacast method i still will have to cut the back top off anyway so i guess its just a matter of money and quality?<br />once again thanks for the help im gonna go check it out.<br />Garrett<br />here is a closer look at it with engine off and hydrolic fluid on it <br /> http://www.clan-nn.com/NN/uploads/post-2-1126791680.jpg

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The seacast results I have heard of have been 50/50 good/bad. I am sure it is a good product, but I think there are too many application variables when us amateurs are installing it. The failures that I have heard about have been the result of a poor or non-existant bond between the seacast and the skins. It seems reasonable given the crud that exist in rotted transom cavities. In the right situations, I am sure it is a very good solution.<br /><br />I think the more traditional methods are still the best. You can choose between plywood and a structural foam, but I would always use epoxy.<br /><br />garrett61: You are correct. Replacing a transom is an invasive procedure regardless of the method. For me, I know I can get good results with plywood, epoxy and glass and will go that way on my new project (actually I may have no choice since of the project boats I am considering has very little transom remaining). <br /><br />It is a lot of work, but you will save a lot of money doing it yourself and you will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you are done. <br /><br />Good luck with the project,<br />Dan

BillP

Captain

Mark42,<br />I've worked in production with both poly and casting resin. I think (but don't know) the major difference with casting is the curing part (it is extremely difficult to forcast hardner ratios for "pours"). Casting reachs a "hard" state quickly but stays pliable/rubbery for hrs later (you can push a finger on it hard and it will leave a depression...the depression will level back out in a short time). Eventually, casting resin gets hard and brittle just like standard poly. It's the glass that keeps them from cracking later. <br /><br />Casting resin was way cheaper than poly when I was using it so you wouldn't want to use poly in it's place. Casting resin and chopped glass fibers are probably 95% of what seacast is made of. I thought about making my own seacast and placing steel rods in the center of the pour as an additional safety factor.