transformation of my 1963-64 starcraft starcheif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys i went outside yesterday and was trying to think of some ideas on how to transform my boat into one that had more room to move around in.you think its possible to make my boat have the room of a alumaweld super vee?i would like to make it a stand up boat with a tiller motor. any help would be appreciatedaluma.jpgDSC08238.jpgmy boat.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: transformation of my 1963-64 starcraft starcheif

HI hunter. Not sure which boat is yours, but if it's the one with the hard top most of the Starcraft guys here will track you down with torches and pitch forks for converting it :) Those old hardtops are tough to come by in one piece. If you do proceed with the conversion, I'm sure one of the guys here will take the top off your hands. As fore the conversion, that's pretty easy. The only limit is your imagination. Once you've got a solid deck and transom the rest is just a matter of preference. I'm not sure how you would make it a stand-up center console with a tiller motor though. You'd have to run either a tiller set up, in which case you couldn't use the console, or you have to get steering and remote controls to use the cc. You can either buy a pre-made fiberglass console, or make your own. Here's a pic of a Starcraft that was converted to a cc. It's pretty swanky, but it shows that it can be done.

teaksc.jpg

oh sorry i meant to put a tiller instead of a cc. ha i dont want to be tracked down with tourches and pitchforks ha. if i could take the top off and keep it i would like to but what i was really looking at was the front of the boat since there is only a hatch up front, i was wondering if i could cut it once i have the top off so i can build somewhat of a deck with a livewell and storage and also have kind of like a casting platform up in the front

yabuoy

Seaman

I'm not a Starcraft guy and even I would say "don't touch that boat!". Find something on craigslist to mess around with. You could make some good money off of that and buy yourself better suited for what you want. That is one purdy old boat!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

kfa is right, some of the guys will come for you if you cut that boat!!!:eek:

Me? I'll help ya with the surgery:D

Check out the Jet Star thread in my signature. It's a different boat but the concept and steps to remove the bow would be exactly the same:)

kfa is right, some of the guys will come for you if you cut that boat!!!:eek:

Me? I'll help ya with the surgery:D

Check out the Jet Star thread in my signature. It's a different boat but the concept and steps to remove the bow would be exactly the same:)

see i actually looked at how you did your boat and thats what i liked, see i dont want to tear this boat apart to where i cant get it back to its original form, i still want to keep the everything on the inside and the canopy and if i can keep the bow section of the boat that has the door hatch so when i get older i can re attach everthing and cruise with the family and make it a nice boat, but i dont have all that much money to get another boat since im still in high school and am not gonna get married for awhile so i was thinking more alond the lines of making it a hunting and fishing boat and having more room

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking the same thing,, a thought i had on my chieftain was to cut off the front the cabin (where the windshield is) remove the bow deck and make it a walk through with a door on both ends then put pedestal seat in the bow area. Personally i don't have enough room to do that, and i decided i want to keep the cabin in its entirety for overnighting etc.

Good luck

T

oh sorry i meant to put a tiller instead of a cc. ha i dont want to be tracked down with tourches and pitchforks ha. if i could take the top off and keep it i would like to but what i was really looking at was the front of the boat since there is only a hatch up front, i was wondering if i could cut it once i have the top off so i can build somewhat of a deck with a livewell and storage and also have kind of like a casting platform up in the front

this is kinda what i was thinking once i got it gutted and torn apart
custom boat.jpg

maybe not 4 passenger seats but you kind of get what im looking to do

well guys talked to a couple of my dads buddies and figured out that if i do convert my boat over to a open boat that the insurance company may not be able to insure me or something like that, so im not going to tear the boat apart just rebuild it and clean her up a bit and add some new wood to her. so look forward to seeing some updates on the progress.

kfa4303

Banned

Good call. I think you'll find that you can fit 4 passengers with ease. Most of these old Starcrafts had two bench seats for tow people each. Here are some pics and brochures for inspiration. I think you'll find that a well restored boat will also be quite the conversation piece at the doc. Oh, and a total chick magnet, of course :)

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Starcraftb63002.jpg

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Starcraftb64005.jpg

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Starcraftb64003.jpg

ok guys quick question, how do i get a floor up since it looks like its vieted down?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You mean rivets? Just drill em out, no biggie:)

well the boat is torn apart, uncle came over and helped out on the teardown and said hell this is a big boat without the top on it, and said it would be good to make it an open boat, so called the coastguard and they said it will be good and then im going to go to our insurance agent to see if il be covered, il upload some pics when i pick up all the parts, oh also i have a bunch of parts off the boat that i want to sell to help other starcraft owners finish their projects if anyone is iterested!

kfa4303

Banned

Lookin' good. I'm sure someone will be along to take that top off your hands soon. You might want to place and add on c-list and/or ebay too.

Lookin' good. I'm sure someone will be along to take that top off your hands soon. You might want to place and add on c-list and/or ebay too.

yeah il have to put it on ebay here soon, i still have little parts that i need to put on there to

sheddski

Recruit
Don’t do it unless you migh be intimidated by the tiippyness of these top heavy boats I should know my dad had one for 20 years used mostly ocean and kept mostly original but he lived with it

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don’t do it unless you migh be intimidated by the tiippyness of these top heavy boats I should know my dad had one for 20 years used mostly ocean and kept mostly original but he lived with it

I think traffic hunter sold the the Starchief parts 7 years ago, so your advice is a little late. And he hasn't visited since.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.