Transducer...to drill or not to drill.

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
88
Got a couple questions...I just bought a Lowrance GPS/fish finder and will be mounting transducer today...<br /><br />Any opinions on whether I should run the cable into a drilled hole above the water line or just run the cable up and over the back of the boat. I have 18' Sea Pro with outboard.<br /><br />Also, I want to run power to accessory switch in center console, but need more wire. What wire should I get for saltwater use? Any other hardware needed to wire to switch?<br /><br />Thanks.
 

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Messages
135
Re: Transducer...to drill or not to drill.

I would reccomend running the cable over the back of the boat, one less hole in the transom is a good thing, unless it was properl;y sealed, you will end up with water intrusion into the transom. For the accessory wire, it depends on the type of accesory and what the amp draw will be. I would reccomend at least 14, but 12 might be better. Tinned wire with a good insulation is best.<br /><br />Good luck!
 

18rabbit

Captain
Joined
Nov 14, 2003
Messages
3,202
Re: Transducer...to drill or not to drill.

I agree with what Knot said. To properly compromise a transom and keep water from getting inside (between the fiberglass walls) is a lot of work. It can be done, and it would look nice, but you will either need a finished hole big enough to put the ‘ducer’s cable connector thru, or you need to splice the cable.
 

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
88
Re: Transducer...to drill or not to drill.

Why risk it..Over the transom it is. Thanks.
 

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Messages
8,646
Re: Transducer...to drill or not to drill.

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> ...you will either need a finished hole big enough to put the ‘ducer’s cable connector thru, or you need to splice the cable.
just a note for any lurkers thinking of taking rabbit's advice: don't splice the cable without thoroughly researching how to splice a transducer cable! :)
 
Top