Trailering a tahoe Q7 -Tire wear issues

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailering a tahoe Q7 -Tire wear issues

Well as promised, I really like the radials. On my 1200 mile trip, the trailer pulled wonderfully. I averaged over 16 miles per gallon for the trip (2006 Chevy diesel 3500). I never got that kind of mileage pulling it before. The don't show the wear the bias tires did. At this point, I won't go get any new bias tires. I did stop at a Bass Pro shop on the way home and checked out the new 2013's and their trailers. THe boat sits higher for some reason on the trailer. I believe it is because they used higher parts on the bunks. I could slip an entire fist between the fenders and the boat. But they are still using the crappy bias ply tires, even though they are 14" now.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I saw a new Q7i SF the other day as well. The trailer had 14's on it and they looked huge compared to my two tires.

revkev6

Seaman

I saw a new Q7i SF the other day as well. The trailer had 14's on it and they looked huge compared to my two tires.

I wonder if they are getting rid of the troublesome 13" inch bias plys that wear out too fast. my trailer has very low miles on it and the tires are junk. sidewalls all cracked, worn down, and worn out of round. its a 2010 but I bought it new end of last summer. too much weight on the little tires??

btw, my father picked up a new crownline this spring. 21ss similar size to my q7i. his boat has the carb v6 where I have the carb 5.0 but his boat weighs alot more than mine. his trailer is a single axle with a much larger tire. his bunks are jacked up to put the boat over the tires. he can just about tow his boat down the road with the drive down!

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if they are getting rid of the troublesome 13" inch bias plys that wear out too fast. my trailer has very low miles on it and the tires are junk. sidewalls all cracked, worn down, and worn out of round. its a 2010 but I bought it new end of last summer. too much weight on the little tires??

btw, my father picked up a new crownline this spring. 21ss similar size to my q7i. his boat has the carb v6 where I have the carb 5.0 but his boat weighs alot more than mine. his trailer is a single axle with a much larger tire. his bunks are jacked up to put the boat over the tires. he can just about tow his boat down the road with the drive down!

Any cracked tire on a trailer tire is a bad thing. There is so much stress they go through acting as the shock absorber that it is dangerous to drive on them. You need to get some new tires.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

Any cracked tire on a trailer tire is a bad thing. There is so much stress they go through acting as the shock absorber that it is dangerous to drive on them. You need to get some new tires.

I agree COMPLETELY with PrinceValium. Revkev6 get your tires replaced. Since this whole tire issue began, I have paid more attention to how the tires behave when pulling it down the highway. The shock absorber action is very pronounced when you go over even the slightest bump. The entire tire squats down to take the shock. Since you have cracks on the tires (sidewalls?), that is your weakest place on the tire. A blow out could and most likely will result in damage to your trailer and boat that sits on it. We buy boats to recreate and have fun. Don't let the worry of the tires ruin that!! Get some new tires soon.