Trailer Updating Help Needed?

micmor64

Seaman Apprentice
IMG_20231230_083932[1].jpeg

IMG_20231230_083956.jpeg

I just received this trailer from a good friend along with a 13.5 foot Herter's Hudson Bay fiberglass boat and a 1981 Suzuki DT 16 outboard. I have never owned a trailer with this type of wheel hub axle arrangement before and would consider updating to a "more modern Hub". Any suggestions as to the best way to move forward? Should I try to find another of these wheels and mount a tire for a spare (carry the appropriate tools for changing)? Somehow modify the "swing arm" with a more "modern" hub/wheel arrangement and get new tires/wheels? I really want to have a spare, (and wish to keep this trailer with the boat). My buddy swears this trailer has been under the boat for many years of trouble free service and should continue to service me well. I am going through the motor now and as soon as the temps warm I'll repaint the boat. That said, I'd like to have the trailer "ready to go", just not sure what would be best. Will at a minimum have to replace the tires as they are beginning to weather check.

Any ideas/advise would be greatly appreciated.

matt167

Captain
In my eyes, it’s scrap. That wheel arrangement is common on wood splitters. I don’t think there is a hub to convert it. Perhaps there is and you can save it. But with that axle, a new trailer is probably less than the cost of refurbishing

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That is a common low cost trailer for a light boat used only in fresh water from the 70s and 80s.

Common around the Midwest where George Herter set up shop (MN)

Bearings are available. Wheels and tires are available

You can get new rubber inserts for the torsion axles

Think of it this way. That trailer lasted almost 45 years with minimal maintenance.

micmor64

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all for the input. The torsion axles seem to be working fine. I haven't pulled a wheel yet to check/clean/repack the bearings, (or to even see how they come apart). Would rather keep what I have than try to refit another axle. New tires are not an issue, but after checking with a couple of local shops (North Idaho) none seem to know where to get another wheel (to use as a spare). Guess I have to just keep looking. Ido have a few months before I'll be needing to tow the boat.

matt167

Captain
Tractor supply most likely. Replacement wheel for one of their splitters if nothing more. They exist still

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
kenda has wheel/hub combos
martin wheel has them
marathon tires has them.

tractor supply, Mills Fleet farm, Blains Farm and Fleet, northern tool, your local farm co-op. all will carry them

just google trailer wheel with integral hub.

micmor64

Seaman Apprentice
just had an emergency come up that will take me away for a few weeks (maybe more). Thanks so much for the reply, I'm going to have to shelve this project for a bit and will be out of touch for the near future. I am so very appreciative of the feedback and will follow up when timing is better.