trailer tires, sizes, ratings..and switching...

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a 24' 07 Lowes pontoon boat with a new 115hp merc. CT. motor. The stock, karavan tandem wheel trailer runs on the large 10" tires., load range "E". I've wondered if going to a 12" wheel/tire would be better except that the highest load range available is "D". I like the idea that my 10" tires are rated for 1600lbs apiece. It pulls fine, hubs run cool, but would it be better with 12"?
I'm investigating places to go that would mean more time on highways.

Alumarine

Captain
If the tires currently on it are rated for the load and kept at the proper pressure they will be just fine.

matt167

Captain
Your talking about either an 18.5 or a 20.5 tire right? Up here where it gets cold, they are generally refereed to as snowmobile trailer tires. Many of them are towed hundreds of miles to the Tug Hill Plateau..

The 12" will only marginally reduce the speed of the bearings and you will need to calculate the load on the tires. They will also run warmer

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
yes...i have the 20.5 size..it's what karavan/lowes put on back in 07..=......just wanted to run the thought by....it's winter, what else is there to do...