Trailer tire lug nut Torque?

Mike_Berry

Cadet
Do you guys torque em to some number or wing it with a star wrench? What TQ value would you use? I have a 5 lug 2500gw trailer. Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The spec for my trailer is 90-100 foot pounds.
Use the impact gun which is set up close enough. Hit with a torque wrench If I had it out at the time

matt167

Rear Admiral
Trailer lug torque is dependent on the size of the stud or listed from the manufacture.. Most boat trailers you will find have 1/2" studs/ stud nuts and are 100 ft/lbs.. Torque the lug nuts in a star pattern

bigdee

Commander
Torque to 90# and call it a day. Sometimes I use a 4-way lug wrench but I can pretty well feel proper torque.

harringtondav

Commander
My vehicles have always speced 90 ft/lb. My Ranger is 100 ft/lb. Per above I buzz them up with my impact set on low torque, then finish with my click wrench. (yea, anal me) My aluminum wheels tended to freeze onto the hubs. So now I coat the hubs and wheel bores with a light coat of Never Seeze or other anti-seize compound.

matt167

Rear Admiral
My vehicles have always speced 90 ft/lb. My Ranger is 100 ft/lb. Per above I buzz them up with my impact set on low torque, then finish with my click wrench. (yea, anal me) My aluminum wheels tended to freeze onto the hubs. So now I coat the hubs and wheel bores with a light coat of Never Seeze or other anti-seize compound.

use this stuff... This is what we seal the tire beads with at the shop, apply to the wheel mounting face after it has been wire wheeled clean, apply to stubborn lugnuts, install valve stems with it.... But it's worth it as an anti corrosive for the wheel mating surfaces alone.

It's Nytech black lube

Last edited:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tighten aluminum wheels to 90, and steel to 105, just because every vehicle that I have owned, that seems to be the split.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It's based on the fastener hardware size, not on the wheel material. You need the same clamping force, regardless of what it's made of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wheelnuts.JPG Views:	1 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	10874086

These are 'dry' torques. If you lube the studs, and you should, reduce by 30%...

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Good subject, good info. I'm also anal with my torque wrench on all automotive (and boat) hardware. I mean everything....