Trailer Teardown, Repaint and Rebuild

Viper2872

Seaman Apprentice
I bought my boat about 1.5 years ago and the trailer is pretty rusted, but at least it looks like it is all surface rust. It is pretty heavy duty for the boat so I'm not too worried about it. I have been thinking about repainting it ever since I bought it and I finally decided this is the time to do it. I started tearing everything apart and removing all the Galvanized metal. I'm only going to be repainting the original painted metal and leave all the galvanized the way it is. I'm planning on using an Angle Grinder with a wire wheel to remove all the old paint and rust. Then Prime and paint. Not sure how I'm going to paint yet. I'm leaning towards brush and roller because I don't want to deal with the over spray. I also don't have a spray gun or compressor so it would probably have to be rattle cans if I were to spray it. Any advice?

Back After.jpgFront Before.jpgBack Before.jpgGEDC0842 shrunk.jpg

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer Teardown, Repaint and Rebuild

a sand paper flap wheel will be much much faster than wire... it was for me anyways

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

a sand paper flap wheel will be much much faster than wire... it was for me anyways
ok, if you have plenty of time these are great. If you wanna get it done get a bead or media blaster. This will take care of all the tight spots also.:)

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also don't have a spray gun or compressor

hard to blast things without air, a 4 inch grinder with http://www.amazon.com/Norton-60-Grit-Flap-Disc-2in/dp/B00062IOVY will make pretty short work of it, and without impaling yourself and others with strands ejected from a wire wheel.

tight spots? maybe wire maybe smaller sanding disk in a drill maybe paint stripper? i used spray can Tal Strip on my trailer alsoit was slow going on the factory paint, but it worked.

as for paint, i rattle bomb primed and painted with rustoleum, its still a bit tender even after painting in october... the topside of the boat however i used valspar implement paint since i could easily get the color i wanted. it seems to have hardened MUCH better. neither have been out in the sun yet so that will probably help harden them both up more

Evinbuck

Seaman

You can use 4" sanding discs as well and they cut fast. Also, very heavy duty wire brushes are available for a 4" angle grinder....a bit pricy but will work much faster and last for several projects. I used both and took my trailer down to bare metal. I brushed a farm implement primer followed by brushing two coats of rustoleum. If you're just dealing with fresh water this will last a very long time.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I like the Rustoleum idea because it's really easy for future touch up.

Four years ago I had mine bead blasted, primed and then painted white. It looked great.....for about 2 years. Last summer I sanded down the bad spots, hit them with Rustoleum rust inhibitor, then primed the whole thing and sprayed it with Rustoleum top coat. I think I used about 6 or 7 cans of the top coat. So far it looks good, I painted it a darker color so the rust wont show as quickly. I don't know how long it will last but I'm willing to bet at least two years, and it was a lot cheaper than the first time.

Viper2872

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I pretty much have the trailer completely in pieces. There are 2 grounding screws by the hitch that I'm going to have to remove and then I can start Grinding and Priming. As of right now, I'm planning on using one of these http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-Wire-Cup-Brush-Twisted/dp/B000MRTYXK/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1303182963&sr=1-1 for the paint removal. I also have a dremel for the tight spots. I'm going to look and see if anyone around here does media blasting, but I am not expecting it. I don't want to deal with the debris and over spray, one of the reasons I'm probably not spraying it either. I am not going with white again. I know the rust would show through too quickly. I am thinking a Dark Blue to kind of match one of the strips on the boat. Besides, Blue with the Galvanized Gray should look pretty good. I was thinking the Rustoleum Primer and Paint. It will only be used in fresh water as well.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Since the trailer is rusting from the inside out, I would just use the trailer and not worry about it.
You cant get inside those tubes and prime and paint.
Do you still use it in salt water?
If so the trailer will continue to rot from the inside out. If you are just using it in fresh water then paint and prime and it will probably last you a long time.
I use a product called rust bullet and por-15 for 2 different trailer project on a trailer I use in salt water. I think rust bullet is a better product but expensive.

Viper2872

Seaman Apprentice

Grinding and priming is almost done. I have a about half the tongue, cross brace and Roller brackets left. I'll try to get pictures later. I don't think I will ever use it in salt water so I'm not too worried about the insides of the tubes. The tongue is turning out to be pitted as well as the back 4 inches of the main frame. Not too bad yet though. The Steel is still solid. I bought LED replacement lights tail lights, clearance lights and a wiring harness. I also bought replacement bunk brackets because the old ones were broken. I also have the replacement carpet for the bunks.

Art Bernard

Banned

My 2 cents is that you coat the entire trailer in ospho (rust converter) than roll on/brush Rustoleum black paint. I did my small trailer like that 5 years ago and holding up good evan with salt water use. I really don't think you can beat Rustoleum black paint for durability. I recomend 2 coats.

Art

D

DJ

I like the Rustoleum idea because it's really easy for future touch up.

Four years ago I had mine bead blasted, primed and then painted white. It looked great.....for about 2 years. Last summer I sanded down the bad spots, hit them with Rustoleum rust inhibitor, then primed the whole thing and sprayed it with Rustoleum top coat. I think I used about 6 or 7 cans of the top coat. So far it looks good, I painted it a darker color so the rust wont show as quickly. I don't know how long it will last but I'm willing to bet at least two years, and it was a lot cheaper than the first time.

There's more to a dark color than not showing rust so easily. Darker colors absorb more heat and tend to dry out quicker.

Tex60

Seaman

The pontoon trailer I purchased 2 years ago still looks awsome, the manufacture coated it with a product very similar to Rhino lining bed liner, it has a textured finish but the stuff is really strong. They sell some stuff like this at auto parts stores and the stuff is rolled on.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Viper you will certainly have to shoot some photos when finished. What brand of trailer is that? Looks very simular to the Spartan I just finished.
I used an Industrial acrylic made by Rustolium to paint mine and it came out pretty well. The color is Dunes Sand and is very close to the tan Lund used on the interior during the 1980s. I would suggest picking up a foam roller as it seams to put the paint down pretty smoothly.

Viper2872

Seaman Apprentice

I have pictures of what has been done up to tonight. I am really happy with the progress but I wish it would go a little faster. Oh Well.

Elkhunter - Little late for that. :) I have already torn it apart and started painting

Tex - I thought about that but decided that it was too much to do that. I'll go with the Rustoleum and it will be MUCH better than what it was.

Bonz - I'm not sure of the brand. I think it might either be a Balko or Spartan but I have also seen Load Rite that are similar. I have attached a picture of the label and you can see why I wouldn't know.

Pieces.jpg Frame Before.jpg Label.jpg Frame.jpg Brackets.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Suprising how long it takes to clean'n paint a small trailer isn't it!

Another thought for you though also more work. As I did while mine was apart now is also a good time to pull the hubs and clean and repack the wheel bearings.

Where are you located in Wis? I'm about 10 miles from Lake Geneva on Lake Elizabeth.

Viper2872

Seaman Apprentice

Here is an update. Things are really coming together now. I have cleaned all the hardware that I'm going to. I have done most of the second coat of primer over the whole frame and parts. I will flip it later and finish the top side (its upside down now). Tomorrow, I'm going to buy the replacement and additional hardware, paint and a few other supplies that I need to finish the prep work. The Bunks have had the carpet removed and I replaced the carpeting. I also went through and tore apart the hub that was leaking grease. I found a bad inner seal and replaced it. I put it back together and should be good. I also cleaned the wheels so there is no more grease on the one. I can't wait to have the boat back on the water. I'm really getting anxious.

Primed WS.jpg Primed Parts.jpg Wheels Cleaned.jpg Fixed Hub.jpg Bunks Recarpeted.jpg

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I so want to rebuild my trailer. Mostly just blast and paint. But, getting the boat off and storing it somewhere is the struggle. I already have the new LED lights, wiring and brake system.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

look around your area and find someone who does sand blasting and paint. i just had y 24" tritoon trailer completely sandblasted, primed and painted for $350.00.

Viper2872

Seaman Apprentice

I have a little more progress. This past week I have picked up all the replacement hardware that I think I am going to need to put the trailer back together. I also got the paint and was able to put the first coat on today. I was also able to mostly straighten the tongue where it was bent. I also included a picture of the storage of the boat. I'll tell you its nice having a light aluminum boat.

Rear Painted.jpg Front Left Painted.jpg Front Right Painted.jpg Tongue Straightened.jpg Storage.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yeup, it takes time. Especially when you can only work on it in your spare time. Just don't hurry it and do it right. Look at it this way, at least we've been dealing with some horrable wheather this entire spring and the fishing has been off schedule.