Trailer Security

kenojim

Cadet
I've heard some horror stories about boat trailers being stolen at the ramp lot while the boat is in the water. Even cases of parts being stolen off trailers! (roller assemblies, galvanized or stainless fittings for bunk hardware, and of course spare tires and their mounts)
Besides the obvious hitch pin and coupler locks, does anyone know of or use anything else?
I know if a thief wants the trailer / parts bad enough they'll get it, so was curious what other deterrents people use.

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've never looked at locked hitch pins or couplers as fail safe items. They "buy time" by slowing down a thief. I do use them, though.

My main strategy is passive:
- Don't keep the spare on the trailer; lock it in the truck.
- My trailer, though solid, is old and ugly; thoroughly unattractive as a target.

bigblocksarefun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not much else you can do if the boat isn't sitting on the trailer. All the top stuff is fair game. You can put a locking lug(s) on the spare tire (if you have one) but that's pretty much it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Like many other types of crime, this sort of thing depends A LOT on where you boat. In our area, it's unheard of for trailers or trailer parts to be stolen at the ramp. I suggest you hang out the launch sites you plan to frequent, and talk to the boaters who actually use those sites. Most boaters I know are very helpful to newcomers. You'll probably get more useful information talking to experienced local boaters than reading Internet horror stories.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Make sure you have good....make that " great" insurance coverage !!! Use locks to make it difficult to steal and go enjoy!!

FLATHEAD

Commander
Not only thieves . Around here we had a spree a couple years ago of PETA people damaging trailers and vehicles in the lot. Trying to target fishermen. I’m sure a couple pleasure boaters got hit as well.

airshot

Rear Admiral
It might pay to set up a trail camera in some hidden place to video them in the act

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
With all the battery power tools available these days, it's hard to stop thieves.
As already stated, do whatever you can to slow them down so they skip over your rig.

I spot weld nuts that I don't need to remove.
For example, I have the retractable stern straps that mount to the trailer. I hit the nuts a bit with the mig welder, otherwise it would be way too easy to remove them.
I wouldn't want to pull my boat from the lake and see that my stern straps are gone.
So, get all the locks you want. Anything to slow them down so they think twice.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It might pay to set up a trail camera in some hidden place to video them in the act
Yeah, or a big temporary masking tape arrow pointing down at the tag camera, heh.

About 15 years ago I parked a tandem axle utility trailer - still hooked to my truck - near a busy highway with a for sale sign. I had some kind of lock on there designed for that. Came back just after dark to get it and found a couple of guys in the process of stealing the trailer. They already had it hooked up to their truck.

They took off like a rifleshot when they saw me and I chased them across the highway yelling (they happened to go the direction I could sort of intercept them). I called the cops but when I got another vehicle to go look, I found the trailer on the side of the road on the first available turnoff in the direction they took, lol.

They had just snapped the lock off, but I don't know if it slowed them down at all. Jacka--es.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep...no sense using a padlock unless you get a really good one. There are locks out there that cant be cut easily with bolt cutters or cut off grinders, but they are not cheap !!! I had a locksmith hook me up with a couple, it will take a little time to cut them off if they have the patience, but they will set you back a couple hundred $$.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I cable lock my spare tires to the trailer for peace of mind. Fortunately, trailer theft is not real prevalent in my area......yet.