Trailer safety

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
:):) I retired last year and have found myself a lot of time to mess around with my boat and trailer. I was alway's worried about slipping and falling off my trailer as I was standing on the tire fenders. It was even worse when they got wet. I checked every trailer part supplies and could find nothing to put onto the fender to try and prevent slipping and either hurting yourself or getting wet!! Has anyone had this problem??? The older you get the harder it is to step up on your trailer. I got the Idea:D:D to glue a pre cut and measured piece of tire tread onto both of my trailer fenders. Your feet grip the trailer much better and you don't slip like on the stock trailer fender. I wonder if there is a market for such a product??? Will anyone give me a little feedback about my idea. Thank's :):): LDJ

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer safety

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy self adhesive anti slip stripping. It comes in black, grey, and white, in widths of 1 inch, 2 inch, and 4 inch. Sold by the foot. Simply cut off from the roll how many feet you need. I have a couple of 4 X 6 inch patches on top of the fenders and a couple of 2 inch strips on the trailer frame. I also used it on the deck, cuz wet fiberglass is slipperier than ice. Works great.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy self adhesive anti slip stripping. It comes in black, grey, and white, in widths of 1 inch, 2 inch, and 4 inch. Sold by the foot. Simply cut off from the roll how many feet you need. I have a couple of 4 X 6 inch patches on top of the fenders and a couple of 2 inch strips on the trailer frame. I also used it on the deck, cuz wet fiberglass is slipperier than ice. Works great.

http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...d=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=anti+slip+tape

good stuff. certain places even make it with a reflective stripe in it.

robert graham

Admiral

A pair of black rubber slip-on boots with the cleated soles are real nice working around your boat, especially during launch and retrieval, keeps your feet dry and offers some good traction and foot protection. Walmart sells them for about $20/pair. I also use them for fishing, oystering, anything around the water to help keep your feet dry, especially during cooler weather! I love mine! Good Luck!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

:):) I retired last year and have found myself a lot of time to mess around with my boat and trailer. I was alway's worried about slipping and falling off my trailer as I was standing on the tire fenders. It was even worse when they got wet. I checked every trailer part supplies and could find nothing to put onto the fender to try and prevent slipping and either hurting yourself or getting wet!! Has anyone had this problem???

A quart can of Wing Walk Compound will cover about 15 square feet. Just mask the area perimeter and brush it inside the lines. This is the same stuff they use on the walkable areas on the wings of private aircraft so nobody busts their ***.

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12017

A quart runs about $30 plus shipping but it makes for a very neat solution that won't peel.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Years ago I bought a pair of rubber non-slip step pads from a truck parts store. They came with fasteners and were about 6" wide by 18" long. Since then for all new trailers I just go to Home Depot and buy a couple of rubber stair treads and cut them to a size to perfectly fit the top of the fender.

cbavier

Lieutenant

The strips work great and comes in a roll. You only need a couple feet. It can be trimmed or even cut in strips to make a decor pattern that fits your liking.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

:):) I retired last year and have found myself a lot of time to mess around with my boat and trailer. I was alway's worried about slipping and falling off my trailer as I was standing on the tire fenders. It was even worse when they got wet. I checked every trailer part supplies and could find nothing to put onto the fender to try and prevent slipping and either hurting yourself or getting wet!! Has anyone had this problem??? The older you get the harder it is to step up on your trailer. I got the Idea:D:D to glue a pre cut and measured piece of tire tread onto both of my trailer fenders. Your feet grip the trailer much better and you don't slip like on the stock trailer fender. I wonder if there is a market for such a product??? Will anyone give me a little feedback about my idea. Thank's :):): LDJ

My thought is that the tire tread will loose it's grippiness because it is not constantly abraded away like it is when used on the road. Seems like they glaze over if not used on the road. I suppose if it was a rather new all-weather tire it would work. Probaly can get a real good looking tire for free at a tire place dumpster. Might be a real challenge to cut a steel or kevlar, etc. belted tire though.
The traction tape can also be had in "industrial grit" at http://www.mcmaster.com/#antislip-tape/=9ueww7 Extreme-Traction Abrasive Antislip for extra assurance of traction.

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:):):) Thanks everyone for there prompt replies and ideas. You are a great bunch of people. LDJ