Trailer mis-match...

Brimauster

Cadet
Well, I have checked the hull of my new (hopefully) 18' Starcraft SS, and it is not hooked. However, I noticed that the trailer looks too small for the boat. The seller says the original trailer was kept by the kid who was refurbishing the boat, and the boat was put on the "spare" trailer. My question would be, who makes a good, low-cost, no frills trailer that would fit this boat? The hull has a "bilge keel" on each side that the bunks would need to clear. I can use the current trailer to get the boat home, but for long term use, I'll definitely need a different one. Any suggestions on a good manufacturer? A used trailer would do as well, but I don't know which kind. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DCP04651.JPG
    DCP04651.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 0

GatorTom

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer mis-match...

Can't really tell from the picture if the trailer is too small or if the bunks just need to be moved/lenghtened. Keep an eye on the local papers and ebay (local) for people tryng to get rid of a junk boat with a trailer. I looked for about a month while rebuilding my boat until I found the right one. I got it or $50 and it had an old fiberglass bass boat hull on it that I had to take to the dump. I ended up recovering and moving the bunks and redoing the bearings, but it was much cheaper than buy a new trailer.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer mis-match...

Don't forget CRAIGSLIST.ORG. You may find the perfect trailer in your local area. If you look at other trailers, you may figure out a way to adjust the bunk on the trailer you got to fit the boat.