Trailer Jack - snap ring sizes?

drivehard

Seaman Apprentice
My trailer jack bit the dust this weekend. Lucky it was in a not so dramatic fashion. It just skipped a few teeth, and refused to jack anymore. Anyways, it is a nice bulldog jack that swings on a large snap-ring boss that is welded to the trailer frame. So the question is...

Will any snap-ring jack fit on that boss? I would really prefer to use that same mounting point that is already welded to the frame and painted to match. Look like I could just pop off the snap ring and put a new jack on if it were the same diameter hole.

Also...as a side note. I would think a 1200 pound rating would be enough for my 21' Bryant. Thoughts?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Jack - snap ring sizes?

Why not repair the quality jack you have? Go to Southwest Wheel's Trailerparts.com and buy a replacement gear set.

drivehard

Seaman Apprentice

Why not repair the quality jack you have? Go to Southwest Wheel's Trailerparts.com and buy a replacement gear set.

Its not the gear set on top, its the mechanism in the shaft...guessing its a worm type gear? I have not seem them sold as replacement...only the gears on top.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Then contact Bull Dog directly (http://www.bulldogproducts.net) and ask for their help. Why replace your good jack with a "gerry rigged" one? You have a lot riding on the jack performing as it should, and buying something cheap is usually a bad choice as you may get to buy it twice.

jchristi

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same issue and I replaced mine just the way you are asking about with no problem.

jchristi

Seaman Apprentice

I just went to the local boat store and took my broken jack to make sure the hole where that the trailer piece goes through was the same. it worked great