Trailer guides with step in the way

Laneman25

Seaman
I'd like to add some vertical trailer guides with the pvc pipe covers to help pull onto trailer. I have diamond plate stps in te, just wondering how to install. The kit has u bolts that attach to frame.20240526_170048.jpg

youmansjason

Seaman
I have a boat trailer that looks exactly like yours (mine is a RoadRunner Trailers of Texas) and all you have to do is drill 2 holes through the diamond plate for the U-bolts to come through. It's pretty easy to drill through. I put my guide posts just an inch or two in front of the trailer brake lights.

Separate topic.....it's interesting how you run your transom straps under the trailer and to the front of the crossmember and then up to the transom eye on the boat. Any reason for that vs. just running straight up from the bracket welded on the back of the trailer to the transom eye?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Honestly, I find poles to be fairly useless, in my 60 years of boating I find side guides to be far more usefull. Mine are 5' long on each side with less than an inch clearance on each side. The boat drives itself on fully centered each time no matter the wind or current. Just some food for thought......

Laneman25

Seaman
I have a boat trailer that looks exactly like yours (mine is a RoadRunner Trailers of Texas) and all you have to do is drill 2 holes through the diamond plate for the U-bolts to come through. It's pretty easy to drill through. I put my guide posts just an inch or two in front of the trailer brake lights.

Separate topic.....it's interesting how you run your transom straps under the trailer and to the front of the crossmember and then up to the transom eye on the boat. Any reason for that vs. just running straight up from the bracket welded on the back of the trailer to the transom eye?
Thank you. Previous owner ran the straps that way. I tried straight down and the buckle hits the trailer before strap is tight.

Laneman25

Seaman
Honestly, I find poles to be fairly useless, in my 60 years of boating I find side guides to be far more usefull. Mine are 5' long on each side with less than an inch clearance on each side. The boat drives itself on fully centered each time no matter the wind or current. Just some food for thought......
My last boat had the long side guides and they worked great too, just thought guides would be easier

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Poles are OK if you just need a visual indicator of where the back of the trailer is. They don’t work very well as bumpers to help guide the boat onto the trailer in windy or heavy current conditions; they bend pretty easily if the boat whacks into them.

If you’re looking for something to help force the boat onto the trailer, sideboards might work better.

I have the poles on my trailer, mainly to improve visibility when I’m backing up the trailer, and for that they are wonderful.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Actually I have both, the side guides do the actual work of centering the boat in poor loading conditions but added poles for a visual effect when water is high.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I have side guides also. Tbh I don't think they do anything but get in the way when I'm cleaning/waxing. As long as I submerge the trailer just right the boat centers itself. I don't believe it's ever touched them.IMG_2279.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have side guides also. Tbh I don't think they do anything but get in the way when I'm cleaning/waxing. As long as I submerge the trailer just right the boat centers itself. I don't believe it's ever touched them.View attachment 398609
Many of the ramps in our area are quite shallow and not steep enough so wind and current have a big effect on loading. If you lucky enough to have good ramps at the right angle with little or no wind/ current then side guides do not do much. Having a deep V hull with bunks also helps greatly in centering the boat. On a typical windy day here, those small guides would not do much, but glad they work for you.