Trailer Foam suspension pic added

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice
I have the original trailer under my 1961 Spitfire boat. it looks like a Tee Nee or Holesclaw trailer except it has round foam cushions between the axle and the rest of the frame. It tows very nice but the foam is settled some. I'd like to replace them but have no idea where to get them or even what they are called. I'f anyone has any information I'd sure appericate it.
Thanks Dave

Last edited:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trailer Foam suspension

Pics?

nlain

Commander

Pictures do not work

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I think I have the pictures in my second post fixed

NHGuy

Captain

Maybe you could get some of those bump stops that folks use on trucks with sagging suspensions. The issue would be finding something with the right amount of cushion.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I've never seen one of those.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most trailers of that design had coil spring suspension and the rubber cushions were merely bump stops. Can't tell from the pictures but I think the coil springs are missing. If the cushions were intended to take the place of the springs, they are positioned in a very wrong place.. Springs need to be close to the wheels.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello- dakota dave, i beleve s.m.sivlertip is right; nice looking boat. What kind of scott o/b is that, i'am looking for a royal scott o/b 43.7 let me know if you see one around for sale or trade a jhonson super sea horse 80 hp for one.------thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Most trailers of that design had coil spring suspension and the rubber cushions were merely bump stops. Can't tell from the pictures but I think the coil springs are missing. If the cushions were intended to take the place of the springs, they are positioned in a very wrong place.. Springs need to be close to the wheels.

Ayuh,... I see a cobb job on an ole obsolete wagon...

Notice the rubber isolation block at the end of the axle, by the fender,...
It's shearin' right off...

I think there's more Missing, than is left of it's original configuration...

oldjeep

Admiral

As bad as the suspension looks, I'd be more worried about the tounge snapping off where all that rust is by the front of the boat. Sometimes its better to just spend the $1500 to get a new trailer than dump your boat in the middle of the road.

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

This is the original configuration. I got it from the man that bought it new in 1961. We used to have military trailers with the same suspention. the trailer dosen't have any rust but it dose have 4 colors of paint put on with a brush. Ita A 1961 Royal Scott. Haven't seen one for sale lately I've had this one for 20 years.

oldjeep

Admiral

Doesn't have any rust? What is all that bubbly rust colored stuff in the pictures?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Foam suspension pic added

That's a nice looking vintage boat, the trailer belongs in the junk yard, get a nice simple used trailer with leaf springs and normal sized rims and tires.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

No rust! What are you talking about that thing is covered!

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HEY D.DAVE I think I know what kind of boat trailer you have ,IT'S A AIR-BOUY, I think I seen it in FIBERGLASSTICS libary under trailer --GOOD LUCK--:)