trailer dolly?

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone else use a trailer dolly to back there boat into a tight spaced garage? We were going to build a barn this year but instead I think I am going to wait 1-2 more years but want to store boat in the garage which is very tight squeeze even backing into the driveway is kind of a pain. Boat weighs approx: 2600 lbs dry and is on a 20' trailer. Any suggestions on brand/type of dolly? I want something that doesnt get stuck on gravel if possible...

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I use a Trailer Valet XL with a 20V drill for my 4200 lb setup. Works great for maneuvering in tight spaces. Gravel may be an issue if it's soft. They have other options besides the XL that may work better on gravel.

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Horigan, Thanks for that. Have you tried any of the manual dollies? I was curious if it was just to much to push around manually or not. But I do like these I'm sure it will save my back. But ya I want something I think with robust wheels to ease over some gravel if possible. My driveway is concrete but the road is tightly packed gravel. I would like to drop in road and quickly maneuver it into my driveway from there i can take my time getting into the garage

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Unless you want to spend a ton of money, there aren’t many options. We have a tight fit into our garage from a gravel driveway, and the only solution I found was practicing backing in the trailer. Took a while, but now I can zoom it in there in no time (and I’m not the best at backing a trailer).

If it’s really difficult, you might consider putting a hitch receiver on the front of your tow vehicle. That would probably be cheaper than buying a dolly that can handle gravel.

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unless you want to spend a ton of money, there aren’t many options. We have a tight fit into our garage from a gravel driveway, and the only solution I found was practicing backing in the trailer. Took a while, but now I can zoom it in there in no time (and I’m not the best at backing a trailer).

If it’s really difficult, you might consider putting a hitch receiver on the front of your tow vehicle. That would probably be cheaper than buying a dolly that can handle gravel.
The math just doesnt work we have a row of bushes that obstruct backing it in. basically at 39' with truck and trailer I only have 30' of space from front to back so i dont think a front hitch option will work but a good idea.

I've tried getting it there multiple times cutting it every which direction but just natural obstructions every way I go.. Mainly my wives gardening..... only way i could get it in was with the lawn mower shortening it to about 24' and that was just a pain because how heavy it is to raise and lower onto the mower hitch. I thought if they made a 1 1/2 ft adapter hitch then I can just continue to use the lawn mower. But even then it puts a lot of stress on the mower even for that little bit of time its hooked up.

I cant wait for the pole barn we will just be able to pull right through double doors on either side.... But till then I need to solve this issue haha

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
How about mounting a winch in the back of the garage? Or sink a post somewhere to mount the winch on?
This idea actually has some merit to it.. I'm gonna try to draw something up along this idea. I wonder if pulling with a winch if it will turn the trailer straight to. I assume this would work actually...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
People use garden tractors to move boats.

BTW - A 20' trailer will not fit completely in most std garages., due to its tongue length.

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
People use garden tractors to move boats.

BTW - A 20' trailer will not fit completely in most std garages., due to its tongue length.
I have an oversized garage it fits in fine and I have used garden tractor in the past. Just isnt easy on my back.

dwco5051

Commander
How about mounting a winch in the back of the garage? Or sink a post somewhere to mount the winch on?
That is how I used to get my plane into the hanger years ago if there weren't any linemen available late at night. Was going to put the same type of setup in my garage with a winch that had a remote but got a much smaller boat instead. Once you pass 80 you learn to work smarter.

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is how I used to get my plane into the hanger years ago if there weren't any linemen available late at night. Was going to put the same type of setup in my garage with a winch that had a remote but got a much smaller boat instead. Once you pass 80 you learn to work smarter.
I just turned 30 and always try to be smart. So I think this is the direction I am heading haha. Do you think it would change the direction 90 degrees though without issues?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Can you lay some 3/4" plywood down over the gravel? Then you'll have a smooth surface.

The winch idea is a good one, if it puts the boat exactly where you want it. If not, you'll be maneuvering it by hand in the end.

My boat is definitely heavier than yours. I back it in (most of the way) with my truck. Then I can maneuver it by hand the rest of the way since the trailer jack wheel is now on the concrete floor. I can roll it back and forth, left and right, all by hand and by myself. I keep a wheel chock in hand just in case it rolls where I don't want it to be.

I only do this once a year in the Fall. If you intend on using your garage repeatedly throughout the boating season, it might just be too much of a hassle to move it by hand. Then maybe you need a dolly.

Hope you make out ok....

dwco5051

Commander
I just turned 30 and always try to be smart. So I think this is the direction I am heading haha. Do you think it would change the direction 90 degrees though without issues?
Yes, if you are using a hand trailer dolly and the attachment point is behind the axles it may take a few feet to do it. What helps is to stick tape to the garage floor to show where you have to be. Since I have to back in here on my blind side I lay a couple of pieces of wood outside the door to show where the tape is in my passenger side mirror. It seems every time I get back from the lake one of the work trucks is always parked here which adds to the challenge as you can see in the pictures. I drove semis back in the early 60's for a couple of years and learned to always have a target where the trailer tires should be going and watch them in the mirrors to see if I was going to where I wanted to be.DSC04981.JPGDSC04980.JPGDSC04982.JPG

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, if you are using a hand trailer dolly and the attachment point is behind the axles it may take a few feet to do it. What helps is to stick tape to the garage floor to show where you have to be. Since I have to back in here on my blind side I lay a couple of pieces of wood outside the door to show where the tape is in my passenger side mirror. It seems every time I get back from the lake one of the work trucks is always parked here which adds to the challenge as you can see in the pictures. I drove semis back in the early 60's for a couple of years and learned to always have a target where the trailer tires should be going and watch them in the mirrors to see if I was going to where I wanted to be.View attachment 354477View attachment 354478View attachment 354479
A target to aim your tires at.....great idea!
I'll remember that one!

dwco5051

Commander
A target to aim your tires at.....great idea!
I'll remember that one!
Do you see that black trailer on the right side of the picture. The oldest boy asked me how come the hitch ball is never more than a couple of inches from the coupler when I pick it up. He never did figure it out (he thought I was blessed with mystic powers) until I showed him two small piles of stones in the gravel. When I park the trailer tire is always next to the back pile and the pickup rear tire next to the front pile. If I had the trailer fenders equal in both mirrors I will be almost right on every time. I let him think I was magic the first few times he asked until I showed him.

Take a close look at truck loading docks some time. If all your tires are the same distance inside the lines you are square to the dock.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have the Power Caster PC2. Back when I bought mine it was only $900.

Not great on gravel though.

Attachments

• PXL_20211001_170928909.jpg
    PXL_20211001_170928909.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have an idler wheel on the front of the trailer that I use inside the garage on the concrete floor. If I want to take the boat outside for a run up or whatever, I have a retired DR Versa Pro ZT riding mower with the deck removed upon which I welded a trailer hitch/ball to the right front frame. Take the dolly, position trailer tongue on the ZT and put the boat where you want. Piece of cake and free since I had all the necessary equipment just sitting around.

briangcc

Commander
What about a well used, ie older, and smaller SUV? Say a 2 door Wrangler? Shorten the length of your entire rig since you're already looking at dropping it in the street. Would be close to tow limit but since you're only using the Wrangler to back the boat on the property it'll be fine for that.

Could probably pick up on the cheap off Faceplant Marketplace and sell close to what you paid for it a couple years down the road.

I'm in the city on what is basically a 1 lane street and it is much easier backing the boat into my driveway using the 4Runner as opposed to the Ram. Both are doable if you set correctly but the 4Runner with smaller wheelbase and tighter turning makes it a much easier task.

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a boat and a utility trailer parked side by side in my machine shed. 16' wide overhead door. There's only a couple inches of clearance on either side of both when they're parked.

I considered putting a hitch on the front of my ATV to push both trailers into the shed.

I eventually gave up on that idea and just decided to get better at backing, and use the drill as practice to get better. I figure it pays dividends down at the boat ramp as one of my biggest fears is being "that guy who can't back his boat."