Trailer Bunks 2x4s on Edge ok?

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wood I have on my trailer, looks pretty "original"...it is about 2.5x4.5 ish....

I have some 2x4s I just put a couple coats of spar on, and am now wondering if I have wasted my time and need to upgrade to a 2x6?

They are on edge, not flat.

Will these 2x4s be ok?

16' alum boat with some added weight from platform up front... Boat is approx..ohhh...200-250lbs stock, plus gear, plus outboard, plus decking... 400lbs...ish???

I plan on priming and painting and wrapping in marine carpet.

Am worried about weight.

thx

agallant80

Commander
Re: Trailer Bunks 2x4s on Edge ok?

I wonder if they should be crown up or crown down or if it does not matter.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I wonder if they should be crown up or crown down or if it does not matter.

Test them on the hull and see wich way fits the best. They will take the shape of the hull either way over time.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the only problem with 2x4 instread of 2x6 is they may warp more, but go for it.

I would not wrap them in carpet; wood needs to dry out, so at most, strips on top. But bare wood won't hurt anything, either. spaced out bunk slicks, about 6" long, would be best.

I like a combination of short bunks in the rear and rollers under the keel in the front.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

2x4's are used on much heavier boats than yours! As far as edge vs flat, I would probably never put a smaller boat on the edge of a bunk. The bunks NEED to deform to match the hull, 2x4's on edge aren't going to deform much. (and obviously very little for 2x6's)

kfa4303

Banned

Someone just did the on on edge trick here in the forums and said it worked great. They saved a bit of money on bunk hardware and they said it lowered the boat a few inches, which was beneficial in there case. I suppose you loose some adjust-ability, but for most small boats, that's not a big deal.

airshot

Rear Admiral

I do not see a problem due to the light weight boat, if it concerns you add another 2x4 to make a "T" shape for the boat to sit on. As for your carpet, when I did mine I just carpeted the top and just enough around the side to get some roofing nails into to hold the carpet in place. This will allow the wood to breath and release water. Only expect these to last mabey 5-6 years depending on how often the boat gets dunked unless they are treated lumber.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Have had several trailers with 2x4 on edge. Came from factory that way.
Used when we got it, it was painted, still good after 20 years.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

remember, though, that pressure treated lumber should not remain in contact with aluminum, and some say that wet carpet allows the PT chemicals to leach up to the hull.

Thalasso

Commander

2x4's on edge is ok. Crown up. Taper the edges to the same angle as the hull contact.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for the input... am going to stick with 2x4s... already have a couple coats of Spar Urethan on them, and am going to prime and paint them with an oil based paint just to "pretty" them up a bit... cover just the top, and slight edge with the carpet... if time permits, trim the rear edges to match the angle of the boat slightly.

thanks again.

Thalasso

Commander

Thank you all for the input... am going to stick with 2x4s... already have a couple coats of Spar Urethan on them, and am going to prime and paint them with an oil based paint just to "pretty" them up a bit... cover just the top, and slight edge with the carpet... if time permits, trim the rear edges to match the angle of the boat slightly.

thanks again.

The angle should be the length of the board