Trailer Brakes - First time ever having them - what's the deal?

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I'm trying to figure out more about the trailer under the boat I just bought. I'm pulling a 2000 21' Four Winns Funship 214 on a matching 2000 Four Winns dual axel trailer with brakes. I have pulled trailers for over 15 yeras, 8 of that, with a boat in the mix - but this is the first time I have ever had a trailer with brakes.

I figured out what the 5th connection is for on the 5 wire flat (vs. 4) - simple enough (thanks to google that is).

I found the attached picture disconnected and figured, hey, that's not right. So I plugged it back up. That brake line looks pretty rough too.

So I'd like to get the brakes working if I can without spending bucu cash. I searched the internet for a generic brake diagram for trailers and don't seem to come up with much that looks similar. Any thoughts? I'm pretty decent with my hands, and have a lot of common sense, so I think this is something I should be able to figure out (with the help of iboat forums, of course). I haven't towed since I hooked the brakes up - but Im sure there is more maintenance to be done. Where do I start? Show me the way! Help! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• trailer_brakes.JPG
    trailer_brakes.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer Brakes - First time ever having them - what's the deal?

Without seeing more of the setup, its hard to say, but... If a brake system is neglected long enough, it isn't going to be financially feasible to refurb it. Its cheaper to gut and start over. Everything is going to be rusted beyond usable condition.

Anyway, I'm assuming you have surge brakes? If so, the electrical wire has nothing to do with a functioning brake system. It actually is for a functioning brake deactivation system! It energizes, pops a solenoid, and lets you back up without fighting the brakes.

Cobalt232

Cadet

Unless my surge brakes are bled perfectly they almost don't work at all. Id take it to a good trailer shop who can fix it right instead of possibly killing your family because they didn't work. It's not how fast you get to 60, but how fast you get to zero!

etracer68

Ensign

That looks like a quick disconnect for the brakes, does your trailer have folding tunge. Sorry I cant seem to spell well this morning.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, that is a quick disconnect, which is typically used for extendable tongue trailers and often found with sailboats. Not sure why it is there on that trailer.

Anyway, based on the looks of the hydraulic line, I would think that the brakes do not work. but you can make sure the system is filled up with brake fluid and give it a try. Surge brake systems are very simple . . . master cylinder, which is part of the coupler, the lines, and the slave cylinders/brake mechanism.

You should take a look to see if you have drum brakes or disc brakes.

If you need to replace the brakes, then you can get parts or a complete kit from http://www.championtrailers.com

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies, guys. I do agree about getting these brakes to work, and want to try and figure this thing out.

I believe the tongue is removable so you can fit it in a garage. See the attached pic - sorry, it's about the only one I have right now.

I am going to try to crawl around and maybe snap a few more pictures of what I have sometime today. I'll post them as I get there. Thanks for the info and advice - keep it coming! THANKS!

Attachments

• DSCN2523.jpg
    DSCN2523.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

That tongue looks like it was home made for ramps specifically like that one. Very little incline to it, so you will end up with a lot of vehicle in the water by the time the boat is off the trailer.

hard to tell from the pic, but do you trust your life with that tongue extension? Home made extensions, if done correctly, are stronger than the rest of the trailer. Done poorly, they are a HUGE safety issue. (as in safety chains won't help you if the tongue breaks)

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I think you need to assess the other components of the system, surge actuator, lines, calipers and pads. You may get by with just some new brake lines, then again you may need all new components. One things for sure, you will be glad you had them pulling, or should i say stopping that boat. Will be much quicker, shorter and save your tow vehicles brakes. Send more pics when you can.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will go get some pictures here in a minute. I have crawled around and done a little research. It turns out I have disk brakes from Kodiak. Right now, I'm letting the fluid resivoir cap soak in some PB Blaster so I can get the thing off! (just to see it dry or gunky, I'm sure). Based on everything I've seen so far (including the rotors that look pretty bad) it looks like I am going to end up buying a complete setup and replacing everything. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised once I get a full assessment of the pictures... stay tuned.....

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pics, Pics and more pics! I tried to make a collage so you wouldn;t have to look through so many of them. I think this brake setup is ready for retirement. I got the resivoir cap off, and it's disgusting. I think I will be looking for a complete setup OR, seeing about a trailer shop that might do it for me for cheap.

I don't believe the tongue is homemade. I believe it is designed this way to store in a garage. You can see in the pics that it is solid; but I always appreciate your input on it.

So, what do you guys thinik - scrap the brake system and go with new?

Attachments

• tongue_setup.jpg
    tongue_setup.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • brake_setup2.jpg
    brake_setup2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • brake_setup.jpg
    brake_setup.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member

My sailboat trailer had an extendable tongue, but you would only extend it during launch & retrieval. Afterwards, and before getting back on the road, you would collapse it back. (it was about 6 feet though)

If you do not need the extended tongue, then I would collapse it back and re-fasten it. However, it is not much of an extension (2-3 feet), so you are probably right in thinking that it was more set up as a removable tongue for inside storage.

The brake system looks like it is toast . . . maybe the calipers and rotors are workable, the rest is a replace. I would go with stainless lines.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd assume that the rotors are toast, the calipers are probably seized and the lines are rusted out. Start with the master cylinder to see what the condition of the brake fluid is, then work back to the brakes. Don't ever mess around with safety.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will you be boating in salt water?

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'm going to go with a whole new brake system for this trailer. I am probably going to call around to a couple of trailer shops and see how much they would charge to do it, get sticker shock, then start shopping and decide to do it on my own. Between my brother and me, I think we can do it farily easy - especially seeing the existing system come off first. If\when I start that project, it will be a new thread!

No boating in salt water - primarily fresh water lakes in Upstate SC, with maybe some occasional trips into NC\TN\GA. The great news is, I am very spoiled with the ramps here too - they are all very nice and easy to drop\retrieve the boat!

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd assume that the rotors are toast, the calipers are probably seized and the lines are rusted out. Start with the master cylinder to see what the condition of the brake fluid is, then work back to the brakes. Don't ever mess around with safety.

This.

My trailer brakes are in very similar condition to the OP's. I'm going to buy a brand new disc brake kit and install new everything. My crappy ford explorer needs all the help it can get, and new disc brakes will help it a lot. Unless you're towing a boat with an F-350 dually, fully functional trailer brakes are a must.

I've been shopping around, and I've seen full trailer disc brake kits from Titan and Tie Down for $400-$500. That's worth it IMHO.