Trailblazer for Tow Vehicle?

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Always liked the looks of the 02-08 Chevy Trailblazer. Anybody have one? Are they reliable?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Define reliable.

4.2 Atlas motor or 5.3 LS,?

What are you towing?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Reliability usually comes down to how it was maintained and cared for...

matt167

Captain
I used to work on them all the time. W/ the Atlas engine.. they were usually roached out at the point I got to them. ( 2013-2015 ). TBSS will scoot as it’s an LS2 if memory serves me. But the V8 TB’s have the front CV running through the oil pan. Not something I would want.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the insight Matt. Anything else to watch for? Transmission maybe?

Those SSs are mighty cool, but talk about roached out. Not only do they seem beat to hell, people are wanting like 10k for them! If found a decent one for cheap though don't think could pass it up. Don't these have Corvette engines in them?

Since nearly all of TBs have the Atlas straight 6 that's most likely what I'd end up with. Unless I get an extended model which would be fine, but they seem a little rare. Not worried about towing capacity either, these are rated at @5,000 lbs, with either engine I believe, and most are 4WD.

Fun fact: The Atlas not only makes crazy power for what it is (275) it has a torque curve that's all in at like 2k! It actually has 20 more HP than the Vortec 5.7 in my Silverado. Which at the time was nearly up to snuff with the LT1 Vette/TA/Z28 engine.

matt167

Captain
They use 4L60E transmissions. Good enough for towing but only with a trans cooler imo.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Had an '02. 4.2 L Tow package with cooler.
No serious problems with it until Trans coolant line fitting failed and the wife kept driving it in 2016. the end of it.

Not many around here anymore. Can't imagine finding one that isn't all rusted to crap.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Mainly just be pulling smaller boats. I have a 14' Mirro and a 15' Crestliner currently. Neither is very heavy. I know about the leaking trans line issue, which can be a bit pricey. I've also been told to examine the transfer case thoroughly for cracks. Funny thing about the rust though. You almost can't find a rusty one around here and I'm in the salt belt. Looks like my main task is to find one with low miles.

Speaking of tow packages, is this an option? Hitches are standard, so wouldn't they all have trans coolers?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
so wouldn't they all have trans coolers?
because that would have cost GM money and statistically most people who own SUV's do not tow anything. Just like most 4x4's or AWD's never climb anything more than a curb to a back-yard party.

JOElom

Recruit
Hey there,

You've got a good grasp on the key points regarding these vehicles. Regarding the SS models, yes, they are often quite sought after and can be hard to find in good condition at a reasonable price. They do indeed come with a Corvette engine, typically the LS2 V8, which contributes to their popularity and higher price point. It could be a worthwhile investment if you happen across a well-maintained SS for a good price.

As for the transmission, it's always wise to check its condition, especially in used vehicles. Look for smooth shifting and listen for any unusual noises. Getting a transmission fluid analysis can provide insights into the internal condition of the transmission.

You're right about the TrailBlazers (TBs) mostly having the Atlas straight-6 engine. It's a reliable engine with a solid power output and a favorable torque curve, making it a great choice for regular driving and moderate towing needs. The 5,000 lbs towing capacity with either engine is quite adequate for most purposes.

The extended models do offer more space but can be a bit more challenging to find. However, if you're not in a rush and keep an eye on the market, you might spot the right deal.

Your comparison of the Atlas engine's power output to the Vortec 5.7 in your Silverado is spot on. It's quite impressive, especially considering the technological advancements over the years.

In summary, while scouting for a vehicle, it's a good strategy to balance your requirements with availability and condition, particularly when looking at popular or rare models. Good luck with your search, and hopefully, you find the perfect fit for your needs!

Best,J oe

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Appreciate everyone's input. Seems I may have been wrong about the towing capacity though. Have read several places that it's actually 6200 lbs. Wow, that's a lot of boat, right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Appreciate everyone's input. Seems I may have been wrong about the towing capacity though. Have read several places that it's actually 6200 lbs. Wow, that's a lot of boat, right?
And not a chance in hell I would tow that heavy of a boat with that vehicle. I wouldn't even tow that heavy of a boat with a Tahoe!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You may want to double check that. The 4.2 liter was rated at 5100#

That was with the 3.73:1 axles

The 5.3 was rated about 5300#

A standard 4.3 liter S10 blazer was about the same, a little more with the right gearing and load D tires

In either case, I agree with Bruce. Not sure I would attempt it .

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Guess my original findings were correct. You guys are right about the lower number it seems. Thanks for pointing that out, but no worries, my heaviest boat weighs 800 lbs, so.....

As for no way in hell, I live a 1/2 mile from the ramp and the furthest I can ever see towing would be 50 miles to Lake Shafer or Bass Lake. So thinking the Trailblazer should have plenty of grunt for my purposes. I was really hoping to hear from people who actually have towed with one. Stats are dandy, but real world reports are best.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
First I don’t want a 16 to 22 year old vehicle that I’m not the original and only owner of for a tow vehicle. That’s a real crap shoot since for the most part you don’t know the true history of the vehicle , the problems it’s experienced, and the maintenance. As far as reliability of an old used vehicle nobody can say.
Second you don’t need a ”tow” vehicle for an 800lb boat . Your daily driver what ever it is should do the job. You could tow that with a skateboard or an E Bicycle (kidding of course)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Guess my original findings were correct. You guys are right about the lower number it seems. Thanks for pointing that out, but no worries, my heaviest boat weighs 800 lbs, so.....
I have towed more with my Honda Element!

matt167

Captain
My dad launched a StarCraft Offshore V-18 with a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Once, because his jeep was in the shop and it’s a couple miles to the launch

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had one, towed my boat all the time. Put some miles on it (got it with 89k and sold it with 235k) IIRC 3.73 and 4wd was 5,500 lbs with a 10,500 GCWR with the I6 and with 4.10s would do 6,100 lbs.

Brakes are a little weak by modern standards, figure it's a truck that was on the drawing board in the mid 90s. Unloaded, they're fine. They are pretty quiet, ride nice and have comfy seats. They are reasonably reliable, all the parts are still readily available and cheap, most fixes have been DIY's and documented (they were selling like 500k+ of them a year between all badges so there are still tons of them around) and if moderately taken care of don't really have any rust issues... the frames were all Ecoated on them. Underside of mine had some surface scale but when I did the suspension over everything came apart without much issue. I hosed off the underside after winter and if I had to dunk it far at the ramp. Sold it in 2019 for the Colorado to a friend who loves it. Was hoping the global one would make it's way back on the Colorado chassis but it never did. Probably because it would hurt the crossover and Tahoe sales. :(

They all have transmission coolers, it's just the liquid to liquid one in the radiator only. The radiator is a little undersized and the fan is bigger than most diesels to compensate for it. Towing the boat I would get like 210 degrees ATF temp which was pretty fine. Not ideal but not horrible. I did add a stacked plate cooler and bypass for winter and that kept me in the 140 -185 degree range all the time.

If a clean low mileage one came up at the right price I would own it. Look for a 2007 up one. They swapped from the electro viscus fan clutch to a normal thermal one. They are not great on gas. 14/16 in town at best and like 22 highway is about all I ever was able to get. The V8 ones typically do as good or slightly better in that regard.

From like ten years ago as proof I owned it:
FB_IMG_1702840670182.jpg