Trading pickups

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
My bro-in-law got killed on his motorcycle back in July. He had just bought a new Chevy Colorado Z71 which now has about 5000 miles on it. My sister wants to give it to me in trade for my truck. Do you think that I should trade an almost cherry '92 Dodge Dakota for a 2005 Colorado. Of course once I make the trade I'll have to do all the work that she wants done on her house. The Dakota does have a V-8 and the chevy has the new Vortex I-5 in it. Would y'all make the trade or not?

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Trading pickups

Tuff question ae708,<br /><br />The Colorado is so new, I do not know anyone who owns one yet!<br /><br />One big plus, is that if you make the trade, you will be upgrading to a new truck, versus a 15 year old one.<br /><br />Not trying to knock the Dakota, but it is getting along in age. I'm sure the Colorado has all the new stuff, like air-bags, anti-lock brakes, and all the other little creature comforts and bells and whistles that the Dakota lacks.<br /><br />Ask your sister if you could drive it for a week before you make your decision. That way, you'd know for sure whether or not you would like the truck.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Drive it a bit, if you tow, run it w/ trailer. Check for a transmission cooler also. The Colorado is new, not much data from owners yet. Good Luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The colorado does not have the towing capacity but it is a superior truck compared to an older dakota. The colorado is 4000 lbs.<br /><br />Your biggest felt savings will in gas mileage. I would say go for it and do the work on the house.<br /><br />Bob

one more cast

Captain

Sorry about your brother in-law. Now about the truck swap .I think I would have to think about it for about a half a second. Go for it.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

sorry about the BIL .. but if your sister has her head on straight and is thinking clearly .. i'd do it .. other wise i'd wait ...<br /><br />yea ! whatever! .. jump at it! - fixin' her house with a smile.. I would be!

oddjob

Commander

Sorry about your brother in law. Just a thought. I dont know how well you and your sister get along but in some circumstances the deal could go sour if say the dodge gives her any trouble before you've completed all the work on the house. What exactly is to be done to the house should be well communicated between you your sister or that situation could become a problem as well. Just playing the devils advocate for ya's.. :)

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> sorry about the BIL .. but if your sister has her head on straight and is thinking clearly .. i'd do it .. other wise i'd wait ...<br />
Yea....I'd wait a little... If she really is serious.... the offer will be good later. <br />Also, I'd be wondering...<br />What is really written in the fine print of this agreement? What strings are coming attached to that truck???

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

My sister lives across the road from my Mom..on Lake Marion. I do all the work on the house my Mom lives in... actually my house...so I will also be doing a lot for my sister now. I don't think that it will be too bad of a situation. I'm sure that there will always be a "honey do" coming up periodically... no biggie. I think I'll go for it. It's not everyday that one gets a brand new truck free. :) The Colorado is the offroad version (Z 71) with a trailer towing package so it should tow my boat with no problem. Heck, I used to tow it around with a Ranger with a 2.9 V-6.

ehenry

Commander

Something else to think about in this deal....is the truck paid for? If not are you ready to strap on the note? She may be wanting to get rid of the truck to get out from under the note on it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Let me know if you decide not to do the trade.<br />That way your sister will still have the new truck, and maybe I we can work out a deal where I get her, the truck, and the house.<br /><br />Oh wait a minute. Your mother is probably closer to my age. Maybe I should be asking about her. Then I could be playing the weird stepdad.<br /><br />Seriously, sounds like you have a close family situation, and this deal will not change that. If you like the deal and the truck, go for it.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

efhenry... her uninsured motorist insurance paid off for every vehicle they had insured.. not just the bike he was killed on. So she got paid for the 2 Harleys, her Gran Prix, and the Colorado. So she's gonna pay it off in cash and give it to me. She said that since the insurance company paid 100,000 to her for it that she'll still have 75,000 from that vehicle after she pays it off. I never knew that the uninsured motorist insurance I gripe about paid off like that.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't think about this for more than one second before saying "umm...YES".<br />Blue book value would say all that needs saying.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I'm thinking,it is your sister who just lost her husband.Maybe you should help her fix that house with or without the truck.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I have lost a spouse before and I think there is a lot more at play here than the repairs and the truck. Lots of emotion and such to consider, I'm not saying do it or not, only advising you try to fully understand where she is comming from.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My bro in law died of a mystery brain hemourage over three years ago. They had been together for a good amount of years, and were married a bit over a year. He was a musician, had a lot of equipment, and a Jeep. My sister used his insurance to pay all debts and get into a house of her own. She wanted to give me the jeep, but I helped her sell it instead, so she had the money to do something with. It took almost two years for her to get her head back into the game, she did not work and lived on insurance money and money made on selling stuff. She ended up having to file bankruptcy due to credit card debt she ran back up during her bad spell. She was able to keep the house, and she is working now and everything is fine, but it was very hard. I have done quite a bit for her, including teaching her how to drive (she never had a need until now). It is very hard when this sort of thing happens, and you have to be preppared to be there for her at all times. As far as the truck goes, you can make the trade if you want, but you may want to wait a bit. On the surface it would seem like a no brainer, but there is the possibility that you could be percieved as picking the carcass clean before it gets cold. I help my sister sell off her husbands stuff rather than keep any of it because I didn't feel it was right to keep any of it, I did not want to take the chance of resentment rearing its ugly head, and I really didn't need any of it anyway. <br /><br />If I were in your shoes, I would just let things settle for few months, let her get stabilized, and if she is still insistant, then you can feel better about the trade as she will have her head in a better place. As far as if the trade is worth it, yes. A 92 Dakota isn't even the last generation, let alone current generation. It may have a V8, but unless you really need that V8, it shouldn't be a consideration. The I5 is a good engine, the truck is new, not a lot to think about here. The fuel economy advantage is overwhelming with todays prices. Good luck either way, and I am sorry about the loss of your bro-in-law. It is not pleasent, but it gets better over time....

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Guys... it's not a money thing. She definitely won't miss the money from the pickup. She's gotten over a half million bucks from insurance and still hasn't touched the profit sharing and savings. I DO do whatever work she and my mom want..this was happening LONG before he died. So don't think that I'm some bad guy here.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I for one, don't think that Art, but Jason has a dang good point there, not comming from the money end of the equation as I was.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

yep, gotta go w/Jason on this. Your sister doesen't want to mess w/selling this new truck right now because she is emotionally messed up. Give it a while. you'll still be first in line. watch for her, "it's easy to fill the heart of a thirsty woman". <br />She needs someone to watch over her as she is an emotional mess. theres plenty of clowns that would like to take advantage of her situation. Your BIL would appreciate this...sl