If I have the original registration numbers on the hull of an old boat (MN), is there a way to find out the year, model, serial number, perhaps owners name at the time? Or does this fall under the privacy act??
thanks
Verne
thanks
Verne
... It is a one owner boat but I have no way of contacting the original owner. (it's in a dealer's hands now who is not very forthcoming with information)...
...is there a way to find out the year, model, serial number, perhaps owners name at the time? Or does this fall under the privacy act??
The seller is likely using the Dealer as a Broker because he does NOT want to be contacted by potential buyers.
If it was me, I wouldn't touch it without a title (in my state a registration or bill of sale from the PO might work too) showing the dealer as the owner or purchaser. Legally, it's waaaaayyyyy to messy without.
I gather it's a 60's model Thompson ... what kinda' shape is this boat in? Are ya' looking to own a vintage boat, or just something for fun?[/QUOTE]
YES. It is very vintage and unique and would be a lot of fun. It's all original and in usable condition. Needs paint.
A few years ago I bought a '60 Thompson from the inherited owner of his (deceased) uncle's boat. His uncle was the original owner and there was no title to the boat. He went through hoops through IL to get a title issued to him before he sold it to me. Was MN a title state in '63 or '64? That's why I posted the first 2 digits of the registration number, asking if anyone knew what year that range of numbers was from.
thanks
Verne