Towing with 03 Ford Explorer v6

RCKYMTAIR

Cadet
Hi,
I am Planning on buying a New boat a 2008 Crestliner 18'2 foot Superhawk boat. Right know I have a 1994 Sea Ray Fiberglass boat 17 foot boat which my explorer pulls fine. The new boat weighs 2775 lbs with trailer and is foot wider and a foot longer than my older boat. My older boat wieghs approx. 2530 so my older boat is about 250 lighter.

The New boat that I am looking at is a 2008 Crestliner Super Hawk I/0 with a 3.0 motor. I am planning on putting surge brakes on it to help it down hill.

The question I have is can my 2003 Ford Explorer v6 4.0 pull this boat. I have called Ford they state the max. trailer weight is 3500 lbs. I am also wondering if anyone has a boat like this and towed it with a Explorer.

Please let me know.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Towing with 03 Ford Explorer v6

Although the weights you quote are "dry" which leaves you about 800# to spare, you must remember that 30 gallons of fuel, gear, coolers, equipment and other stuff adds to that weight so you quickly approach the limit. If the vehicle towed the previous boat ok, 250 extra pounds would not likely cause a problem and the trailer brakes will help with stopping. Take it easy on the first trip or two to get a feel for the new combination.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

My 2004 explorer pulls my 3k plus boat surprisingly well. It does have the 4.0, tow package with 3.73 gears and 5 speed auto. Not sure if the 03 is different. I don't tow much with it because that's the F150 job but it's a solid vehicle. I thought it was rated to tow way more then 3500 pounds, but I never looked. Make sure you have brakes on the trailer it makes towing so much less stressful.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I tow over 5K with my 04 4.0L Ranger and 4.10's No problems here.

Attachments

• west branch 001.jpg
    west branch 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

It can tow it. The brakes will help.

I towed a 4000# Boat/Trialer/Fuel/Gear load with an 84 Bronco. With it being older and not loaded down with all the stuff new trucks have on them. The curb weights between our two should be aboru the same. Though, my 302 has a bit more torque.

Thats all well and good, but the danger comes from stopping and turning while slowing. Somethign that a lot of people overlook is the surge brakes work only when the boat is pushing against the vehicle. Your short wheel base works against you here.

I did fine, but I only went on short trips and took it very easy and cautious. I would strongly suggest to you, and the person posting above me to step up to a longer wheel base vehicle for safety. You would be amazed how much easier and less thought you have to put in to towing your boat.

Oh, and 4X4 is always nice insurance on a wet Boat ramp. You didn't mention if you had that or not.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 08 crestliner boat towing with a 03 ford Explorer

Trailers and Towing

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

with brakes you will be fine.

RCKYMTAIR

Cadet

Hi thanks everyone, km2 I have the 2003 Ford with v6 3.55 4x4, I called ford and they stated the 3.55 would pull 3500 and the 3.73 would pull 5000 I wished I had the 3.73 but I checked my vehicle out and I do not.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Back when looking at tow vehicles, I believe with the V6 tow package, a trans cooler was included. If hauling long distances or very hilly, should consider adding one to yours.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

The 3.55 explains the lower tow rating. Lower gear would be better but I think it will be fine. Your not going to be quick but it's not all that quick with the 3.73's.

Control and brakes are way more important to towing than accerating anyway.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

agree with k2. I tow a >3500 20' with a 02 v-6 explorer. accelerates and stops well. must have brakes on the trailer though.

Last edited:

NeverEnough02

Seaman

For some reason U haul will not allow trailer rentals to ford explorers. Just my 2 cents. Some guy was flipping out because they would not let him rent a trailer. Motor wise, you will be good.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I'm considering an 4wd 04-05 explorer\mountaineer to pull my ~4100lb 19'er (weighed at a truck scale).

I haven't decided yet, but I currently pull the boat with my 2wd 220hp/265tq 4.6l F-150 with 3.55 gears and a 4spd.

The 4.0 explorer is 210hp/254tq, 3.73 gears with a 5spd auto. The explorer makes peak torque 400rpm lower than my F-150, but th HP is made at a higher RPM.

Not sure what I'll do. Would like to have a 4.6 AWD Mountaineer, but the MPG appears to stink.

NeverEnough02

Seaman

Most cars on the road have enough power to tow. Where the confusion comes in is how the vehicle was designed. Trucks with a tow package have tranny coolers, torque converters, and suspensions set up to take the abuse safely. The explorer mave have the same motor as the f-150 but the older ones suffer from poor suspension set up and frames that bent under stress. If you plan to tow on a regular basis I would recommend at least a tow package. Most new explorers loaded up enough to get a tow package also have the same 4.6 that you are currently running.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I seem to have different opinion but I have a 2000 Explorer with V6 and tow package and I used to tow ~4000lbs with it. This is under the factory limit with proper hitches etc. and I did tow the boat for several years it is not really suited to pull that much weight IMHO. The power was OK (I am in FLA so not hills, up north is was not so "OK"). What hurts the towing performance and safety is the eight of the boat vs. truck is not good ratio and I never felt "safe". I have been towing things big and small for >20 yrs and literally have towed trailers of various sizes for 100's of thousands of miles I bet, so I am not a novice driver while towing things. I have hear rumors that the SAE is stepping in very soon and they will set the tow rating for new vehicles based on stopping performance, lane changing etc. The max. tow rating is currently done by the manufactures, and they lie to increase sales and the perceived value of their trucks. Watch the tow rating for every truck sold massively decrease when the SAE sets the actual safe values.

Oh yea and brakes are your friend, not only are they mandatory to be legal in most states based on weight just plain good idea. The way i look at it is that they cost about the same as your deductible and if anything ever happens (i.e. the first time a yahoo pulls out in front of you in the rain ) you will gladly pay double what they cost if you can avoid him/her.

NeverEnough02

Seaman

Right. Also just for future reference, I equipped my Silverado with BEAR brake rotors. They are drilled and slotted and have a lifetime warranty against warping. They make a huge difference when towing. There is much less brake fade. I got all 4 discs for $400.00 shipped. Def a great investment when you are worried about slowing down some weight.

wormz

Seaman

For some reason U haul will not allow trailer rentals to ford explorers. Just my 2 cents. Some guy was flipping out because they would not let him rent a trailer. Motor wise, you will be good.

U-haul was scared off by the roll-over hazard back in 1998 or so due to the firestone tire recal. Tehy banished this vechile quickly. Mainly it was due to the explorer sport version.
Iread about many accidnets and stuff couple years ago about U-haul doing this with many vehicle models... it was interesting, ill see if i can find it and post up a link of why they did it. May have reason for Explorer weight/capabilities or something.

NeverEnough02

Seaman

Just bring your trailer to the lot. If they want to move a car they will let you try towing before you buy. They all have insurance so there is nothing to worry about for them. try a few diffferent rides then buy the model that fits your needs best.

reelfishin

Captain

You will know the boat is back there but so long as your not going cross country and the proper equipment is used, you'll be fine.
If it's a 4x4, you have low range for the ramp, and I'd add a trans cooler and make sure the hitch is up to the task, (no bumper hitches). I pull that much weight all the time with a 94 Ranger and I have a 4 cyl.
The 93 Explorer is a solid chassis, every bit as strong a frame as any F150. The motor is fine, it won't feel like a power house but will do the job with no problem. The most important part is setting up the trailer and hitch properly. A badly loaded boat or trailer will make any truck feel like it's not up to the task.