towing - engine in neutral?

toadaly

Recruit
My brother told me that he was told when he bought a small OB motor that it should always be in neutral when on a boat being towed. The reason being that the wind would make the prop spin and thus turn over the engine and possibly do damage. I often forget to put my 90hp OB in neutral after powering onto trailer after an outing. I can't see wind turning over a 90hp motor, esp. in the raised position so that its not facing the wind dead on. Any opinions?
If you have the main power switch turned off, this is not possible, even if it otherwise theoretically would be.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
put the motor in forward, the wind will spin the prop and give you a boost going home, better gas mileage and 10 miles per hour faster.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I won awards for science in High School. It got me a University scholarship. After learning a lot of crap in College, I spent a 45 year career in Engineering.

"For all the crap I learned in High School, it's a wonder I can think at all". LOL...a quote.....not mine.

In any event, there is only one formula (equation) that has served me daily thru all those years.

MCpDeltaT.....

Let's see you apply that to your propeller.