Towing Boat In Cold Temperature

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm buying a boat and it's about a 500 mile trip. The problem is the temperatures are supposed to be well below freezing. The engine is already winterized but I'm concerned with any structural issues and fiberglass/cold temps

briangcc

Commander
Don't be worried.

I towed my Chap in the middle of a blinding snow storm because the winter cover had collapsed (I used a Harbor Freight blue tarp and the support structure failed). Had to tow it to my house to clean it out and re-cover.

Trailer was covered in an inch of ice easily. All fell off the next day when it warmed up a bit.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just make sure the tires, brakes, lights and bearings are find.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm buying a boat and it's about a 500 mile trip. The problem is the temperatures are supposed to be well below freezing. The engine is already winterized but I'm concerned with any structural issues and fiberglass/cold temps
I hope not......I've left the dock with temps in the teens (F) on a regular basis over the years and lived to tell the tell

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
They ship boats in winter all the time.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Fertherest thing from my mind would be the hull itself. more worried about anything winterized properly.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure the boat is secured tightly to the trailer. You don't want the boat bouncing on the trailer.
You want the trailer to bounce on its springs to absorb any hard hits.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps consult with -----Airbus and Boeing-----They build aircraft with composites these days.-------Fairly cold at 35,000 feet I hear.

matt167

Captain
I drug my 14' tin can home on a rickity trailer in a blizzard last march

ahicks

Captain
The only concern I would have is being forced to tow on heavily salted roads. If you do have to put your new rig through that, make sure the whole thing, including the trailer, gets a thorough bath/scrub down prior to storing it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As long as the boat is 100% winterized I’d be more focused on the trailer and condition of the tires, bearings brakes and springs as well as the winch & tie downs. Make sure to have a spare & tools to change it (jack and correct size lug wrench). Don’t assume your tow vehicle stuff will fit! Lug nuts on trailers are usually 13/16ths” not 3/4” (which is the same as 19mm) like some trucks & SUVs. If you have spring axles a simple scissor jack will work but is slow.
If you have to tow in snow weather with surge brakes be VERY careful because if your tow vehicle brakes have ABS engaging you won’t get much help from the surge brakes….
If I’m towing any distance I put my 1/2” drive electric impact gun and torque wrench in my Jeep with a scissors jack and wheel chocks. Also have an air compressor and tire plug kit (4 wheeling stuff we always have in the Jeeps).