FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have a friend that has a bargin on a 25' party barge. He tells me that my 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd should handle it I have my douths wath do you think?
I towed my 24 foot Manitee with a 1500 Chevy and tow my current 20 footer with a 1500 Mopar, no problem. I started out with an S-10 on the Manitee but it was too much for the S-10. I think you will be OK with the 1500 and the 25 Party Barge. I also just remembered a friend with a 24' Party Barge that towed behind a Ford 150 van just fine.
I just bought a 24 foot pontoon and the lady that had it when it was brand new said she pulled it around with an s-10 the whole time she had it and never had a problem... I myself have a 97 expedition 4 wheel drive and never had a problem or had to put the 4 wheel drive on
It will tow just fine. The only problem you may run into would be slick boat ramps. With 2wd you may need to carry a little extra weight in the bed to increase traction.
I used to have a Ford F150 super cab with the 5.0 V8 two wheel drive.It pulled great but was lousy pulling out of a steep ramp ,It had the 8 ft bed. I traded it in for a 4x4 Bronco and it pulled with no problem. 5.0 engine. Now I have a Dodge Ram 4x4 Hemi quad cab (5.7). I usually only use two wheel drive to pull out of the ramps,and i'm pulling a bigger boat.
Pontoons are like pulling a barn door through the wind so wind resistance is more of an issue than weight. Up to about 60 MPH you can tow a fairly large pontoon with any midsize pickup/SUV with a good size V6. If you need to travel freeways or battle strong headwinds, you need a V8.